Edith Finally Gets It - AndyR Original (Remastered)

Started by AndyR, July 05, 2020, 09:32:02 AM

AndyR

(Remastered 22/10/2021)

And here we go - Edith FINALLY gets it...

Actually, she's been getting it ever since I wrote it on the 29th May. I thought it would take a week or so, but it proved to be more of a fight than I was expecting.

On top of struggling to sing it (I am NEVER using the name Edith in a song again!!!), and then having to learn a new slide technique, I had awful trouble with the arrangement/mixing. When it comes down to it, I have two basic mixing techniques: "everything louder than everything else" and "everything quieter than everything else". Neither approach gave me ready results this time.

Anyways, we're done, finally.

After this little marathon, I think I might go back to the old shoe box and dig out some more ancient songs about death and wotnot. 1994 seems to have been a particularly good year for that sort of thing...

Edith Finally Gets It
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
--------------------------------
Edith finally gets it
She gets it where it hurts
She's spent so many years now
Scratching at the dirt
She battled all the monsters
With their many coloured cloaks

Edith finally gets it
Now she's really on her own
She made it through the picture
She ascended to her throne
Now Edith finally gets it
She has always been alone

Incidentally
If you're wondering
Edith's friend
The mirror
Tells her
Every thing
She'll ever need to know

She's happy in her home

Edith finally gets it
After all the things she's lost
Everything she wanted
And how much it all cost
But Edith finally gets it
She is your winner after all

And incidentally
As you're asking
Edith's time
Though short
Should tell you
Every thing
You'll ever need to know

Edith's happy in her home

Copyright (C) 2020 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

thetworegs

Just been on the other side listening to this ...another beauty from the house of Russe

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

GeantdAuton

It's been a long time since I came here. Very nice and impressive to start with this song.

Flash Harry

What a monster. 6:30 and that must be the longest lead-out on the site...

But it just hooks you and draws you in - I was mesmerised. The close F major triad with the pounding slow rock beat give a solidity to the track and the lovely hooky riff - I just had to work out what you were doing - is very cool. And the slide - yes, it would not have been that same without the slide.

On top of that,  the production is fabulous, no mud, nicely avoided, it could have been a trap so easily fallen into, everything clear and separate.

However, I have to give a big shout out for the vocal, which is spectacular.

I think this is ace.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Farrell Jackson

A very cool song Andy! The guitar "hook" riff and the harmonies that back it up are outstanding. The slide work is a perfect choice for this song......some fine tone. You did great on the vocal emoting and I can hear that "Edith" might pose some singing difficulties but you've pulled it off beautifully!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ferryman

Wow, another wonderful piece of music from Andy! I really like the open, sparse arrangement here. It takes courage and some skill to create a long song that holds the interest of t he listener, and you did it with aplomb. The repetition of the melodic motif in the verses is very effective and really keeps you wanting to listen to the song. You don't crowd it with lots of lead work, just some subtle harmonic variations which are very effective. The slide guitar works really well, it suits the feel of the song. A "normal" guitar lead sound might lose some of the subtly of the song.

The production is fabulous, everything clear and well placed. I like the fact there's some powerful low end in there (I like a bass heavy mix myself) but like Flash says, you do a great job of ensuring there's no mud in there. And the vocals, well what can I say. Incredible. I've never heard the word "Edith" with so much emotion, not something I would have thought was humanly possible. It's a superb vocal performance, and I really like the lyrics as well. I think we can learn a lot from Edith.

An absolute peach of a track, superb and worth all the effort. But there's one thing......... If it were me, I would want that slide solo to be just a bit higher in the mix. But maybe that's just me...... ;)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

maxit

Andy, I definitely love your style !!!! I'll wait for 90s death/whatnot covers by you ... 1994: I can tell you have in mind all I want for Xmas by mariah carey or can you feel the love tonight be elton ... they ever make me think about it and I'll love to hear your versions LoL
Cool song, 'straight in each limb', well done!
recorder
Audacity

Johnbee

Man!  There is sooooooo much POWER in this!  I love it!    Everything in this tune is working together just right, from the guitar work to the bass, Rhodes (sounds like) to your thunderous vocal work.  This is a true winner.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Oldrottenhead

totally progtastic brother. Loving that slide, powerful vocal performance I got a fright at the start.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

TPB

Outstanding brother the vocal were clear and cut the mix nicely. Playing was outstanding well done
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away