Another Songcrafters Social Call on Zoom?

Started by Greeny, July 02, 2020, 12:32:16 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on July 07, 2020, 11:54:47 AMGreat idea for a weekly meeting but would need to prearrange who sends the invites each time

I'm not sure but I think if you schedule a recurring meeting, you only have to send the invites once. The meeting ID and URL stays the same from week to week.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362413-Scheduling-meetings

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/214973206-Scheduling-Recurring-Meetings

As for people who can't make the scheduled time because they're working shifts or whatever, you could consider scheduling two meetings per week (say, Saturday and Wednesday, for example). That should increase the chances of everyone being able to join at least one of the weekly meetings. However, I guess it depends on how much time the host wants to put into this. I assume the host has to attend each meeting, though I could be wrong.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hilary

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 07, 2020, 08:37:05 AM
Quote from: bruno on July 07, 2020, 07:11:09 AMWill see if there is anything we could use to stream the audio - perhaps use a combination of Zoom and youtube stream, 64G may have some ideas here?

Sorry, I don't know anything about Zoom or YouTube streaming. However, I just did a search for "using zoom for music" and found this article at Sound On Sound which might be helpful:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/how-make-zoom-work-music

In particular see the sections Getting The Best Sound and Microphone Etiquette.

This page at the Zoom site offers more details on the Original Sound settings mentioned in the Sound On Sound article:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115003279466-Enabling-option-to-preserve-original-sound

I hope that helps.

There seems to be a lot of interest in these Zoom meetings. I wonder if it would be a good idea to make it a regular weekly event? Say, for instance, every Saturday at 9 pm BST (20:00 UTC). That way, everyone knows when the next one will be well in advance and can plan on joining in. Just an idea. Not sure if it's practical.

This looks good - the host needs to adjust their settings to "original sound" first - then the participants can adjust their settings to "original sound" and we can play/sing 1 at a time whilst the other participants muting their sound. Not together but at least we can hear each other play/sing.

We should give it a try.

You don't need to send out invites for regular zoom meetings, you just need the link and password.

Thanks very much 64G.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Greeny

"Just buy it".

I just ordered the Harley Benton electric 12 string I've been GASsing after. A Rickenbacker knock-off in (as the consensus on the call decided) black and white. I had to wait a week for it to be back in stock.

kenny mac

Nice one Tim, cant wait to hear it .
Just buy it......good advice.
Although Mikes advice to me was dont buy it lol regarding that bass.
Like playing a Fu**en stick I believe his comments where ;D

Flash Harry

Quote from: Greeny on July 10, 2020, 02:05:53 AM"Just buy it".

I just ordered the Harley Benton electric 12 string I've been GASsing after. A Rickenbacker knock-off in (as the consensus on the call decided) black and white. I had to wait a week for it to be back in stock.

Oops!

You're a long time dead.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ted

Are you going to have another social? I'd love to join in.

I'm stuck in Arizona (still) until Madagascar reopens, so I may be in a challenging time zone: GMT/UTC - 7h

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Kenneth

I'd love to do this as well.  10 years here and I haven't talked to anyone face to face.  Well James, but that was for 2 minutes as the time zone thing was off.
I'm on Pacific time here, so you guys are drinking while I'm waking up.
Sevral shots for breakfast at 5am at a zoom meeting with the boys and girls at SC?  Sure!
Can you guys do a late evening zoom? Are these still happening?
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

IanR

Yep, I would be interested to join in as well.

It would be nice to speak with some of you more directly.

I have no chance of getting to a gathering in Norway :-)

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ferryman

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR