Remote Learning...wanna learn a new skill?

Started by The Reverend 48, May 27, 2009, 04:01:42 AM

The Reverend 48

Tony W

I changed my name to... My name. Formerly Impudent1

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Can one of you guitar heads lend me a helping hand? I'm struggling with timing on the BBKing backer. It would be a tremendous help if somebody could give me the BPM on the track, so when I get lost I can just look at the MBR and find out where I am in the measure.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Tony W on July 08, 2009, 11:41:21 AMCan one of you guitar heads lend me a helping hand? I'm struggling with timing on the BBKing backer. It would be a tremendous help if somebody could give me the BPM on the track, so when I get lost I can just look at the MBR and find out where I am in the measure.
Tony you are barking up the wrong tree you need to feel the beat my friend the measure is unimportant don't worry
I will do you an mp3 first thing tomorrow
In the meantime have a go at the A min backer

StevieM

Hey Tony, got to agree with Mike here. Try to ignore what it say's on the display, apart from the first couple of times to see when it ends  ;).
I don't know what your style of playing is, but what we're doing ( or trying to do, in my case) is a little bit of theory-----a lot of instinct and feeling!
BPM???? I wouldn't know what that was if it jumped up and bit me on the bum!!!!
Just go for it ;D
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Tony W

Unfortunately, I'm still unsure of my playing style. It is turning into something, just not sure what yet. My mind and body are still at odds with each other. I have a few licks that I really like. I have some in mind that I think will sound good when I can get a little more control of double stops. I'm get chills when I throw in a nice slide. My bends.... I actually think I'm going to break 2 strings when I throw in a strong bed - I really like bends.

I think I'm concentrating a bit too much on "not" playing bum notes, and not enough concentration on getting into the groove.

Thanks for the post Stevie. I'm going back to playing with my gut.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StevieM

You're welcome Tony, hope it helped a little bit.
I think if I concentrated too much on not getting duff notes I'd still be on lesson 1 ;D
You can always drop me a PM, or e mail, if you want. Don't know how much I could help, but I'd do what I can. Sometimes it's good just to have someone else to bounce stuff off----who's NOT your teacher!!!!! ;)
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Sprocket

Quote from: Tony W on July 08, 2009, 11:41:21 AMCan one of you guitar heads lend me a helping hand? I'm struggling with timing on the BBKing backer. It would be a tremendous help if somebody could give me the BPM on the track, so when I get lost I can just look at the MBR and find out where I am in the measure.

If you listen to the original "Thrill", among other songs with leads, I think youll find the beat doesnt really even matter when soloing...you can play your notes on the beat or not...it doesnt really matter. Ive read/heard this refered to as "in the pocket" or "loose in the pocket".
Im pretty sure the BPM is bout 90, Ive got 4 books with this song in it...although Im not looking right now.

Im having issue with the turnarounds too...and where exactly to fit it in. I mean I know where, its just the timing.

The Reverend 48

I think I'm always Playing "in the pocket" :o :o
Hope I don't get arrested :D
BTW the backer is exactly 89.99 BPM
(and has Sprocket says its no use for solo purposes really)