Workflow when recording?

Started by grolschie, May 26, 2009, 11:59:08 PM

grolschie

Hi there,

Any practical tips for a good workflow for recording songs on a BR please?

I am thinking to record a click track, belt out a rough chord progression on another, and then go about recording individual parts etc, before deleting click track and rough chords track. Is this a good place to start? Drums may be recorded at some stage.

Also, how does one get on with recording songs that change tempo?

Thanks in advance.
grol

Greeny

Quote from: grolschie on May 26, 2009, 11:59:08 PMHi there,

Any practical tips for a good workflow for recording songs on a BR please?

This is how I do it, so it may or may not work for you!

Step 1 - work out the tempo and choose a guide rhythm to play along with. I leave a metronome measure at step 1 as a 'count in'.

Step 2 - Choose your guitar effect and record rhythm guitar parts to tracks 1 and/or 2

Step 3 - Choose your guitar effect and record lead guitar / bass etc to Track 4

Step 4 - Choose your MIC effect and record Vocals to track 3

Step 5 - listen back to the recording and adjust panning, track volumes, reverb etc.

Step 6 - edit the rhythm steps with all the changes / fills etc you want

Step 7 - Master to mp3!

Pretty simple, huh?! There are plenty of other ways to do it, but I find this method fairly easy and foolproof.

As for changing tempo, I don't think that's really an option on the BR. Your best bet (probably) would be to splice two different song sections together in audacity or similar. Somone else may have a better idea though!

AndyR

Yep, that's roughly how I do it as well.  :)

In case it's not obvious to you yet, grolshie - you don't need to put the drums on to an audio track unless you really want to for some crazy reason :D (eg you want to start hacking it about as audio or start combining two sets of drums - hey wow, I just realised you could do this!!  :o - Allman Brothers here we come  :D).

Also, Greeny, I'm under the impression, at the moment, that you can change tempo during a song - although I've not tried it yet. It looks to me like every step in a drum arrangement can have its own tempo?? (Stuck at work at the moment, so I can't check it out)

Someone might be able to confirm this or not... :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Greeny

Quote from: AndyR on May 27, 2009, 05:18:30 AMAlso, Greeny, I'm under the impression, at the moment, that you can change tempo during a song - although I've not tried it yet. It looks to me like every step in a drum arrangement can have its own tempo??

You're right... and now I think about it, you CAN alter the tempo for each step. I guess you'd have to set up the drum pattern first though, so that you'd have a click track ready (at the right speed) ready to play along with when the change comes. Yes... can see how that would work now!

jkevinwolfe

I lay down 2 bars of metronone, 2 bars of intro (if needed) and then let the V1 track play out. Then I record a scrub vocal and instrument on a track as reference. Then I build the rhythm arrangement before adding the "real" voice and instrument parts.

For me having a final drum arrangement early in the process helps give my vocals and instrumental performance more nuance.

Geir

Greeny's recipe is pretty much the same as mine, but sometimes I record both vox and guitar on the first take (if acoustic) to get the structure right at once. That's a take I may or may not use in the final mix depending on the quality.

Also if you plan on using more than 4 tracks the same recipe applies, but consider what you need to listen to when recording the next V-tracks and in what order you want to bounce later, when choosing where to record the different instruments/vox.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Davo

I record bass after vox and guitar, because I have some difficulty hearing bassline.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Geir

You're welcome!! 8)

I mean welcome grol !! to the forum !!

Hope that workflow will work alright and that we will hear a song of yours soon !!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........