RIP Paul Chapman (UFO,Lone Star) (not chapperz66)

Started by chapperz66, June 10, 2020, 05:00:58 AM

chapperz66

My namesake - the more famous Paul Chapman - has died at 66 years of age.  It was also his birthday yesterday which makes it even more sad.  His wife died very recently - I think late last year.  I know this because a few years ago he sent me a friend request on Facebook and, although I didn't know him personally, I loved both Lone Star and UFO.  I was quite surprised and a little bit flattered that someone I had seen performing at the Hammersmith Odeon would want to link to me.  I could kid myself that he liked my music but more likely he stumbled across a picture of some bloke with the same name and a guitar and pressed the button in a moment of boredom. 

In my opinion "The Bells of Berlin" by Lone Star is a great song.

Flash Harry

I have to say, I had a momentary sharp intake of breath, then read the rest of the subject line.

I didn't get into UFO - I was into the punk scene in the latter years of the '70's, though I knew of people who were.

Always sad when we lose another musician (or anybody for that matter), glad it's not you Paul.

RIP Paul Chapman.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

chapperz66

Yes, I didn't want to set any hares running so I was very careful with the title line, but thanks for your kind words Flash!
I loved UFO but always preferred the Michael Schenker years.

Ferryman

Blimey, I thought it was our Paul when I first saw it but then saw that our Paul had posted it....

RIP UFO Paul. Sad news when people go so young, and it's great that there was some kind of connection with you (our Paul).

I have a rather obscure connection as well. I went to the same school as Neil Carter, Paul's replacement in UFO. He and I had both played in bands at school so were on nodding terms and I got to know him a bit better in the early 80s when we both lived in Brighton. And he's back touring with them!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

bruno

First band I ever went to see was UFO with Paul Chapman at the Hammersmith odean. He was an awesome guitarist - and those albums were great. I remember him playing the intro to a track with an acoustic guitar mounted on a stand, with his electric strapped on ready to go. Train arrives, 16 coaches long ...  cool as f@@k

RIP Paul

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Blooby

Ugh. Schenker got all the press, but I dug Tonka's era just as much. Just popped in Making Contact for the first time in ages less than a week ago.