Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

Steve Via is an already amazing and versatile guitarist and then he goes and pulls off something completely different...wow! This new "clean" and no pick style reminds me a little of Jeff Beck except Via isn't using a whammy bar...so cool! Thanks for posting the link Hook.
Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Jean Pierre

great guitarist! these bends, in this song are (voluntarily) slightly wrong (out of tone) ..it's special but I don't like it too much.

But what a great clean sound and technique
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Blooby

A fan since Flexable. I love that he doesn't rest on his laurels.

Blooby

alfstone

Great technique, yes, OK, but...the sound reminds me the old days of low quality cassette tapes, with wow & flutter > 10%...  ::)

Sorry, but thumbs down for me

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

maxit

To me is always the same: i envy the new technique but at the end i always prefer hotel california solo ;-) if i could choose
recorder
Audacity

Mike_S

Yes very cool. Without doubt he has amazing technique. Well he must have had in order to play with Zappa! I am struggling to see anything too new but that might be just me as I know very little about very technical guitar playing. But it sounds great. My favorite Vai moments are when he really cuts loose, turns the guitar effects up to 10 and let's rip like on For the Love of God or something like that. Good spot!
recorder
iPad GarageBand