A little story of my grandfather

Started by Redler, June 09, 2020, 12:42:38 AM

Redler

Hi all!

On last Saturday, I visited at my aunt as she turned 92. She said that one drawer of an old desk is stuck. I managed open it in a few minutes. I recognise a portrait of my grandfather (born in 1876). I never seen him, because he died in 1952, ten year before I was born. My mother (now 96 years) has told that her father had been two times in New York in his youth where he worked as electrian ca. 1910's. My mother and her sisters have complained many times that they didn't asked him about those journeys. Anyway, he travelled there by ship and it took several weeks. We don't know how long time he worked there. He was going to travel there third time, but before that he met his wife, my grandmother and stayed in Finland.

Then a few words about the portait; when I looked at lower part of it, I noticed that the protrait has been taken in New York, can't figure out what is the name of studio (Conkling or something), but the address is 394 Fulton Street, Jamaica, N.Y. If you write that address in google, it takes you to Brooklyn and Jamaica, N.Y is several kilometers to the east.  But, it was interesting to see where my grandfather has been.

He had very stylish suite, imo. Not much smiling at that time, when portraits were taken :)

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

danthecoat

What a fantastic part of history. I would love to know more about my great grandfathers.

Thanks for sharing  ;)

Hook

Spectacular discovery and that is a sharp looking suit...who needs a smile.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Pete C

Interesting story Kari - I love old photos like that and there's so much about our ancestors that we'd like to know.

I've been researching my family tree on and off for a few years now and have traced some parts of my family as far back as the 1700's so far. I even did the Ancestry DNA test which currently shows my DNA make-up as 60% England and Wales, 35% Ireland and Scotland, 3% Germanic Europe and 2% Norway. They update it periodically as the number of samples increases.

Here's a photo of my Grandfather during the First World War.

My Grandfather is the soldier on the right side and my Great Grandparents are the couple sat in the middle with their children, two sons-in-law, and two grandchildren. The soldier on the left is my Grandfather's brother - they both served in the same regiment during the First World War and were in the Battle of the Somme. My Grandfather died in 1980 aged 91 so I knew him till I was 19.

Pete

recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

kenny mac

Amazing stuff,this really intrigues me.
That find was meant to happen Kari.
Brilliant guys.

Ferryman

C'mon Kari, should be inspiration for a song. Sharp dressed man maybe  ;)

Maybe that's a festival idea - a song for our grandparents?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

This is fascinating, Kari!

I did a quick search for the studio and this is what I found:

QuoteCONKLIN, CHARLES E.

Conklin, Charles E., photographer, 394 Fulton, Jamaica, NY (1902) Queens NY City Business Directory

CONKLIN, CHARLES W.

Conklin, Chas. W., photographist, Jamaica, NY (1870) Sampson Davenport NY State Business Directory; Charles W. Conklin, photographist, Jamaica, NY (1874) Sampson, Davenport's New York State Business Directory

https://www.langdonroad.com/con-to-cre

Here's an ad that came up in the same search:

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: Redler on June 09, 2020, 12:42:38 AMThen a few words about the portait; when I looked at lower part of it, I noticed that the protrait has been taken in New York, can't figure out what is the name of studio (Conkling or something), but the address is 394 Fulton Street, Jamaica, N.Y. If you write that address in google, it takes you to Brooklyn and Jamaica, N.Y is several kilometers to the east.  But, it was interesting to see where my grandfather has been.

I found some pictures of postcards featuring Fulton Street, Jamaica, Queens, Long Island, New York from the 1910s.

https://picclick.com/Jamaica-Queens-Fulton-St-Now-Jamaica-Ave-Long-231970578065.html#&gid=1&pid=1

https://picclick.com/Jamaica-Long-Island-NY-Fulton-St-c1910-Postcard-333537715742.html#&gid=1&pid=1

https://picclick.com/Jamaica-Queens-Long-Island-NY-Fulton-St-c1910-352371544054.html#&gid=1&pid=1

https://picclick.com/A-View-of-the-Shops-on-Fulton-Street-331064178639.html#&gid=1&pid=1

I think Fulton Street, or at least some portion of it, may have been renamed to Jamaica Avenue.

http://www.richmondhillhistory.org/JamaicaAve.html

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Redler

It's nice to see that the topic is interesting! Thanks Pete for sharing your photo and Cuth and 64 thanks for the links/pics. New York looks like a small town at that time. Everything can be find on the net as we can see - for example the info about the photographer!!

I think the photo of my grandfather can be taken earlier than 1910's. I added wedding photo of my grandparents and think it's been taken ca. 1920, because the first daughter was born 1921 and my grandfather looks much older.

Quote from: Ferryman on June 09, 2020, 12:15:31 PMC'mon Kari, should be inspiration for a song. Sharp dressed man maybe  ;)

Maybe that's a festival idea - a song for our grandparents?

Good ideas! I'm sure Sharp Dressed Man would be a hit song ;D
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR