"Cry of the Young"

Started by SteveAlton, June 04, 2020, 01:39:56 AM

SteveAlton

Cry of the Young (Mastered1)
Time:
0:00
Volume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddLiUwEElpc

Here's the final VIDEO:  THIS FORUM was such a great help to me as I worked through the track & got it the best I could.  Great sounding boards & you guys pointed out the guitar issue...Thanks to all

"Cry of the Young"
(c)1997 Steve Altonian

On a cold hard city night
There's kids at play playing with guns & knives
Someones child dies

Battle lines are being drawn
City streets blast out the sound of war
Someone pays the cost

When you look around you can see the cry of the young
Lives are over before they ever get to start
If you listen really hard you hear the cry of the young

Things aren't how they used to be
In a land of locked doors & broken dreams
Someones mother cries

Heading down a one-way road
In search of something that they can't find at home
Someones baby's lost

When you look around you can see the cry of the young
Lives are over before they ever get to start
If you listen really hard you hear the cry of the young

AndyR

Cool track.

I'm guessing the "not quite done" includes this, but in case it doesn't - check the tuning of the guitar.

It sounds like tuning probs around the 1:20 mark? I think it's the guitar disagreeing with the piano. It could be the mix, I sometimes get that, but I think it's the guitar - so I'm hoping it's just a guide guitar at the moment :D

Up until then everything sounds really slick and professional, then there's a sudden"ooo!"that really sticks out for me .... after that it seems to improve and it's all "yeah" again, but you remember that "ooo" moment earlier... I'm guessing you want to avoid that with what you're planning?

The fact that it improves is why I'm wondering whether it could be one of those "mix artefacts" that make stuff sound different than it actually is, but after a couple of listens, I don't think it is (which is good in my book - those mix things are a nightmare when they happen)

How slim is the guitar neck? I have some that have slim/springy necks that are VERY picky about how I hold the thing when I'm playing - sitting or standing, etc... it's been driving me CRAZY recently on one of my favourite guitars! Live it would be fine, but naked next to a piano on a recording... AGGAGAGAHHHH!  ;D

But yeah, otherwise, very cool track, nice one :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

SteveAlton

Quote from: AndyR on June 04, 2020, 02:30:58 AMCool track.

I'm guessing the "not quite done" includes this, but in case it doesn't - check the tuning of the guitar.

It sounds like tuning probs around the 1:20 mark? I think it's the guitar disagreeing with the piano. It could be the mix, I sometimes get that, but I think it's the guitar - so I'm hoping it's just a guide guitar at the moment :D

Up until then everything sounds really slick and professional, then there's a sudden"ooo!"that really sticks out for me .... after that it seems to improve and it's all "yeah" again, but you remember that "ooo" moment earlier... I'm guessing you want to avoid that with what you're planning?

The fact that it improves is why I'm wondering whether it could be one of those "mix artefacts" that make stuff sound different than it actually is, but after a couple of listens, I don't think it is (which is good in my book - those mix things are a nightmare when they happen)

How slim is the guitar neck? I have some that have slim/springy necks that are VERY picky about how I hold the thing when I'm playing - sitting or standing, etc... it's been driving me CRAZY recently on one of my favourite guitars! Live it would be fine, but naked next to a piano on a recording... AGGAGAGAHHHH! 

I appreciate you identifying that and there are 2 spots like that that have been bugging me...The 1:20 mark & another spot, near there where the chord rings have bothered me, but I was like I like the ending with the electric & I got through it...Truth be told I hadn't pulled that sucker out for 2 years and those are old strings.  All electric necks are big to me, LOL....And yes it went out of tune quickly....I was gonna try to punch in those 2 spots....

But, we will go to Guitar Center tomorrow, grab some fresh strings and redo it.

Hey thanks, that is what I wanted from a listen....

Ferryman

This is a really nice track, excellent keyboard part and really good vocal performance. As Andy pointed out a potential issue, I couldn't "not" hear it but apart from that this is a really well composed and very effective track.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

SteveAlton

Quote from: Ferryman on June 04, 2020, 12:46:26 PMThis is a really nice track, excellent keyboard part and really good vocal performance. As Andy pointed out a potential issue, I couldn't "not" hear it but apart from that this is a really well composed and very effective track.

Thanks, I did change some stuff around....Anything bug anyone?  Glad you like the lead VOX.  Funny that was supposed to be a guide vocal.  But yeah, it's a keeper...THX

I don't use pitch correction on my home demos as I used a TASCAM DP 24 for all this stuff....NO DAW on this tune at all. 

Flash Harry

I like this - it's a lovely introspective piece, I like the way it picks up and gets a bit of movement as the track progresses.

If I'm being super critical - your vox is a bit pitchy in places, and the electric guitar doesn't occupy the same sonic space as the rest of the track. The ambience for other parts and that of the guitar are different which makes the guitar a bit obvious, maybe prominent is a better word.

The song is beautifully constructed, I think the arrangement works really well, I like the control you have over the drums.

I'm being extremely picky. If you made no changes at all I'd still think it's a smashing track.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

SteveAlton

Quote from: Flash Harry on June 05, 2020, 03:40:00 PMI like this - it's a lovely introspective piece, I like the way it picks up and gets a bit of movement as the track progresses.

If I'm being super critical - your vox is a bit pitchy in places, and the electric guitar doesn't occupy the same sonic space as the rest of the track. The ambience for other parts and that of the guitar are different which makes the guitar a bit obvious, maybe prominent is a better word.

I appreciate your take and you may have saved me a boo boo, when I punched in the guitar I didn't return the left pan...GOOD CATCH....So yeah the Guitar was panned right and the left one was down the middle...THX..

I'll have to look at the VOX this weekend. 

Redler

I like the dark atmosphere of this. Style of your music and lyric fit well together!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ella

Fantastic work! Very nice song and so enjoyable to listen. I like how it grows. In my ears this is just perfect and I could imagine I hear this from radio.

Mike_S

Great tune Steve. A lot of talent has gone into putting this together. You have a great tone to your voice, really nice. This song has a great arrangement and is nicely put together. this one of those tracks you can imagine playing on the radio driving along. Be good to hear more from you Steve!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand