She Was Dead When I Put Her In The Ground - AndyR Original (Remastered)

Started by AndyR, June 03, 2020, 04:48:51 AM

AndyR

(Remastered 22/10/2021)

Here it is in all of its glory...

THIS is the song that Mrs R and I had decided was a suitable response to a request to "Upload something HAPPY, stat!!!!!!!!!"

I tried to record it back in 2013 when I wrote it. My muse of many years, who died herself in 2016, absolutely LOVED the idea... but...  when I sent her a demo she fell about laughing with "They'll all slit their wrists!!! As it is, even I'm tempted..."

Anyway, when I was asked to do "happy" a few weeks back, this was so OBVIOUSLY what was required in a mischievous "Wot?! I don't do happy, dontcha know?" kind of way.

I was rehearsing it in the living room. Mrs R was egging me on... we even considered changing the title to "Lala's Song". But then I wrote Hey Hey La La instead. Now that's done, we're back to this one...

I've always told a story about how this song was inspired by a Charlie's Angels episode. But I'm wrong! It wasn't... I must have been drunk...

It was actually a Moonlighting episode. What a program that was. Cybill and Bruce, yay! When she was the big star and he was the whacky unknown... When John McClaine was but a twinkle in his mommy's eye.

Moonlighting, Season 3, Episode 2. Check it out...

The first verse here was written as joke, while we were watching this back in 2013 (the boxset was one of Mrs R's birthday or chrimbo pressies - not sure we've got through it all yet! West Wing was another... haha... has anyone ever got to the end of that?)

Anyways...that there first verse pretty much describes the start of that episode.

But then, as with many of my songs, it took on a life of its own and went where the happy fairy of inspiration doth lead (the one guiding me likes it rough and real, you should hear what she's got me doing at the moment - "Edith Finally Gets It" a joyful barrel of laughs requiring much guitaring, shouting, and big drums).

I was calling this current offering "We Wait" for a long time, until we figured out that's what was making it feel even sadder.

This was recorded live, vocals and acoustic guitar, in the Broom Cupboard the other day. Then later geetar and bass overdubs were done without the add of a safety net or, indeed, a click track (I only did the overdubs because of a flubbed note on the best of twenty takes!!)

I have to say that this is not really the performance I had in mind, though it is very close to it. However, Mrs R, who is most definitely still with us - but claims it won't be long now - rates it highly.

So, ere tis, my lovelies...

She Was Dead When I Put Her In The Ground
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
--------------------------------
She was dead when I put her in the ground
Dead when I put her in the ground
I fear if I go back
I'll find her body has gone
She was dead when I put her in the ground

Her shoes are under the bed
Her shoes are still under the bed
I still cannot face
The act of clearing her out
Her shoes are under our bed

We wait
So long
We wait
Too long

I still have the letter that she wrote
I still read the last letter that she wrote
It's maybe ten years or more
And I'm still watching that door
And I carry the letter that she wrote

I recall all the friends around the grave
So many friends and well-wishers by the grave
Why did they hold me back
From following her down
I was dead when we put her in the ground

Copyright (C) 2013 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

danthecoat

This is POWERFUL !!!!

Your voice is just perfect. Right from the start this grabs you by the heart with both hands and it don't let go. The lyrics are pure poetry and when you sing "we wait so long" ...................we do !!!

Its nothing short of a masterpiece in my eyes and definitely my ears. I saw that you wrote She was dead when i put her in the ground last week and i just thought it was a throwaway joke not thinking for one minute there was an actual song out there.

and that last line "I was dead when we put her in the ground" What a twist

Fucking Mind blowing Andy !!!!!!!

AndyR

Cheers  :D :D :D

And there really is a song called "Edith Finally Gets It" too LOL
It's on the BR1600 now, struggling with it's many geetars, guide bass and wotnot...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

And then there was silence... a moment before I moved.

Poingnant, and powerful. A wonderful song.

Guitar track is beautiful, I couldn't spot the overdubs. Simple is sometimes the hardest to do because there's nowhere tho hide. Same with the vocal. I used to joke somewhere on here that just guitar and voice makes you doubly naked. Well, this was a pretty emotionally exposing experience, so you're right up there. 

Perfect Andy. Perfect.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

FMGWABP
Wow! you are giving me goosebumps Andy. Fabulous.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

kenny mac

Wow nice one Andy, the intimacy of the recording lets the track spill into your head slowly until your brains emersed in the subject matter and then your totally caught in its grip

Excellent.

Ella

Yes Wow! Effective and moving song. Beautiful guitar-playing and earth-moving vocals. Gives me a tiny Rod Stewart-vibe but your voice is soo much manlier.

Mike_S

Terrific Andy, you should be so proud of this. This is a lesson in less is more. Those vocals and lyrics only need the gentlest of guiding along which is exactly what you have done. The lyrics are spine tingling and love the sound of those gentle guitars.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Gave me a Tom Waits vibe from the off. I absolutely love the sparseness, which is actually just the space to let the arrangement 'breathe' and the listener's focus to stay completely on the words and the beautiful guitar-work. Man... that is some lyric.

It's so affecting... so poignant.

Just incredible.

Ferryman

I can only agree with comments of everyone else here. I'm marvelling and the power of the songwriting and this time it's all about the songwriting rather than the production values as well. Stripped back, bare and poignant. Brilliant lyrics with a superb vocal performance.

I too get a Tom Waits vibe. Your voice reaches the same levels of emotion that he does, which is praise indeed in my book. Very well done.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR