Hey Hey La La - AndyR Original (Remastered)

Started by AndyR, May 27, 2020, 01:16:24 AM

AndyR

(Remastered 22/10/2021)

Elsewhere, I was asked (told?) to upload something happy. Hmmm, I thought. This will end well...

So, a few days later, I was rehearsing a pleasant little thing I wrote several years ago that has a working title of "She Was Dead When I Put Her In The Ground".

But I'm afraid that I shall have to get back to that one later, because...

... just as I was getting ready to record it:

OH
MY
GOODNESS

... I wrote a happy song

Yay...
etc

And here it is.

(The Broom Cupboard is strewn with exhausted choristers - I believe some of the younger ones may have been at my bourbon, the gits)

Hey Hey La La
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
--------------------------------
Hey Hey La La
What can I do
This is the happy song
I wrote for you
I have some books that tell me
How to do it well
Fill it up with angel dust
Promises and pretty shells

To paint a picture
That leaves you longing...

Hey Hey La La
This is your happy song
So sing along
Hey Hey La La
Drop what you're doing now
And sing along

I've tried to do it right
I'd hate to get this wrong
I've come to need to know
What you'd expect from such a song

But still I love the comfort
I find in misery...

Hey Hey La La
Is this the happy song
You had in mind
Hey Hey La La
I wish you suitably
Wined and dined

Cos here it comes...

Are you sitting comfortably
Then I'll begin

Spiders on your pillow
Dead puppy in the street
Four and twenty kittens
Baked up for a treat
And someone's spilt the 3-In-One
In your knicker drawer

Now here's your Uncle Angus
He's sneaking out the door...

Hey Hey La La
This is your happy song
So sing along
Hey Hey La La
Drop what you're doing now
And sing along

Hey Hey La La
Altogether now
This is your happy song
Hey Hey La La
Drop your doings now
And sing along

Copyright (C) 2020 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Greeny

Damn, that chord change at 'so sing along'! This is truly magnificent. Playful and bouncy. Like a jazzy Aristocats number, but with an English music hall / Small Faces lyrical twist. Off the scale!

Greeny

Really can't get enough of this one.

AndyR

I'm SO glad. You're never sure when you post, are you?

The finished thing is never quite as good as you hoped, it's why we keep going I guess, and you learn to almost hear it with other's ears so you can be content... But there are some that you're REALLY pleased with yourself over the song itself. This one of those for me... the recording was gradually getting worse (as far as I was concerned) and then the last phase of mixing and mastering suddenly revealed what I thought I'd been putting in.

It was ready last night, but I thought I'd wait to re-listen. I don't usually do that, and sometimes regret it. But this time, I just couldn't see how to make it better.

Mrs R loves it, in the full knowledge that there really is a Lala - who sometimes seems to get more attention than she does!

Lala had better bluddy like it... that's all I can say!!  ;D

(And that chord change - yep, that was the moment I had to drop the other song and write this one... chord and melody seemed to come at once and it was "you're kidding me!" - it's really simple and not that out of the ordinary, but it felt so good)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

Cor!!!!

I've run out of superlatives!!!!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

danthecoat

Now this is soooooooooooooooooo addictive. I've listened to it 3 times on the trot :)

Very Beatles this could've come straight off a number of their albums and i love it. The recording of this is pristine as well crystal clear tracks all mixed to perfection

This is Your Happy Song ;) and now its ours :)

Farrell Jackson

I absolutely love the chord changes in this Andy and your melody makes this song so familiar and comfortable....well, well done!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Oh wow, this is stunning......

It's right up my street as it embodies that glorious English eccentricity that gave us the likes of Stackridge doing the Stanley and the Small Faces doing Ogden's Nut Gone Flake. Like Tim says, it's got a musical hall twist in there, and the lyrics are wonderful. I laughed out loud at the 3 in 1 in the knicker drawer line. Catchy tune with some lovely twists and turns and superb arrangement. And the vocals.....just superb. Great performance and some wonderful harmonies.

I always admire your production but you excelled yourself on this one. It sounds better than so many pro mixes, it's absolutely perfect. Beautifully balanced with superbly controlled low end and lovely dynamics. It's got that warmth I admire in so much stuff from the 70s. An absolute peach.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

Just wow. I am so impressed with what folks do with background vocals, and this is the top o' the heap. really wonderful tune and recording.

Downloaded.

Blooby