Updates from lockdown

Started by Mike_S, May 24, 2020, 10:35:34 AM

Mike_S

So just wondering how everyone is getting on in lockdown. For me it's been fine (Without getting into the terrible loss of life in most countries), I needed the rest in work to be honest. I was doing way too many hours at the computer and like many on the site I am getting older so it's been a very welcome change of pace.

But on the music side of things at the beginning I thought this is fantastic, I am gonna have time to get doing lots of tracks and maybe improve my guitar playing etc, but unfortunately it hasn't gone 100% to plan. Basically, like has been mentioned on other threads, time and age have started to go against me. My back has been playing up and I can't sit down too long at the Mac to mix tracks.

Then I started to have hand problems. My wrist has been hurting from playing too much (trying new chord shapes) and is taking a long time to recover. I overdid it as well with lead playing and ended up hurting a finger (knuckle joint) again taking a while to recover.

So all in all lockdown been frustrating. Hopefully other folk have a more positive experience musically speaking (and other ways of course)
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Flash Harry

I have been working more than ever, currently  I'm struggling to get stuff done in the normal time, which is frustrating and wearing. I'm working from home, in my studio. I thought the instruments being so accessible would have been too much of a temptation but not so.

I am getting time to make music though, my finger tips are tougher than they've been for some time. I've got some nice new kit and my microphone room which had been unfinished and full of junk is now a functional room. Trouble is, there's no one about to use it...

The garden is looking great, I'm running out of jobs to do about the house. My only regret is that I can't get out to see my daughter who is currently expecting her first child.

I can easily keep this up, we're getting food delivered, I'm getting beer delivered, I have video conferencing, I have plenty to do.

I'm pretty lucky really.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

I'm retired, so pretty much no change for me. The only negative is that we are in rented accommodation waiting for our new house to be finished and that has been delayed. So we are stuck in rented for longer than we hoped which does have some limitations. But we are in a beautiful part of the country which makes up for it.

Helping with the local volunteer group has made me feel a bit useful during the crisis but I've still had plenty of time for music. I've been watching lots of YouTube videos about mixing and production techniques, have built my first pedal board and have even produced some music.

I can't play for too long at a time which is parlty why I shifted to the Bass VI, because on that I mainly play riffs and 2 or 3 note chords. Much easier for me to play than a normal guitar. Taking me in a different direction as well.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hi all, still self isolating. Gardens looking good but that is Mrs Willies doing, not a weed in site. We are having food delivered and the neighbours have been great, shopping for odd items and collecting medicines needed to enjoy life without too much discomfort. Although I have time to spare I haven't really felt like playing or writing any new music. I guess the wall has chosen to visit me so I'm reading a lot and enjoying the good weather by lying in the aforementioned garden.
Hope you all stay safe, kind regards Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Greeny

I've been in lockdown since the 13th of March as I pre-empted the useless (and frankly murderous) slow reaction of the UK government. It became apparent early on that my diabetes and age (over 50) wasn't a good combination if I caught the virus. My company were quick off the mark too, shutting down a week before the official lockdown started and not questioning me for refusing to come in. They've handled it all really well: we work as well - if not better - from home, and have managed to work as teams and support each other. So far, the devastating worldwide economic impact hasn't been felt by our firm, but I do worry how long that will last for. It's quite bizarre that my job is relatively safe now when last year was an absolute car-crash (I was out of work for nearly half the year in two separate spells, leading to all kinds of difficulty and mental problems etc).

I hope that when this is finished, the concept of 5 days in the office will be an outdated notion. I'd like 3 days in the office for a good balance. What I do miss though is my vast walks across London. When I was off work, I'd walk for miles - to every far-flung corner of this enormous city. Not to 'sights', but to brutalist estates, canals, derelict docks etc. Even at work I would walk 10km every day. I miss that so much. And the buzz of the historic area I was working in. I was gearing up to start a blog about London walks and photography - and I still will. One day!

Musically, I'm hyper-productive. I'm trying all kinds of new things, styles, and trying to push myself a bit. It's still all about the song for me though. I just like writing songs. And nothing impairs that. No matter how depressed, busy or distracted I am, I will write and record songs constantly. And it's been brilliant doing collaborations with people on here I admire but have never worked with before. I've sort of enjoyed it more than doing my own songs. It's just a different experience. And I love writing lyrics.

Until Saturday, I hadn't left the flat or garden except to go to the chemist up the road in gloves and mask for all my repeat prescriptions (they don't deliver). But on Saturday I had a socially distanced walk with my son, who I haven't seen since the end of Feb. It's been very, very painful.

I'm now hankering after a Gretsch (ideally blue or green sparkly), or a 12 string electric. Or both. I don't have the room though, and can't sell anything off as I play them all. Pedal board is done though.

And I have a nice collection of vinyl on the go. That's been an inexpensive and enjoyable 'hobby' during lockdown, hunting 80's albums on eBay.

Too much whisky though.

Oldrottenhead

I've been very lucky during lockdown. I work in residential child care out in the countryside with large grounds that we can use to stop the kids getting cabin fever. Don't get me wrong work has not been easy as kids are missing friends , family etc. Me and Mrs rottenhead both work in the same sector and to relax we would eat out a lot. We really miss that but have saved a fortune and I may be able to talk her into getting a new bass guitar lol. I have been working longer hours than normal but still find time for music as of course the pubs and restaurants are all closed. Anyway I hope you are all doing well, perhaps someone could organise a Songcrafters zoom conference.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

bruno

Working from home - I'm fortunate that I can do that. Similar to greeny, as a diabetic I was in lockdown early. How long has it been??? I've lost count. Set up the office under a gazebo in the garden - which is highly recommended, and spent time gardening - which is now become a pleasant place to sit and relax. Been pushing ourselves cooking wise, so eating really well and generally have been coping well. The only thing is, I haven't been playing very much - so a bit of a shame

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

danthecoat

I was fortunate enough to find this place during lock down. I had recently resurfaced after a long absence from the music scene altogether and have been busy remastering, re recording, writing and collaborating.

I am fortunate enough to work from home 3 days per week anyway but i am self employed and it has hit me hard in the pocket so i have had to be super frugal and the music has been a good send. Luckily my wife has remained quite busy (She is a florist) and so i have been busy looking after my little ones (10 and 8) and missing my big ones (26 and 21) as I've not seen them since the week before lock down :( That's been difficult but i have spoken to them on the phone and we plan to meet up this week so i'm really looking forward to that.

I collect Chibsons as well and 2 of them have turned up last week and so im setting those up to play the way i like them. I have managed to sensibly limit my Gin intake (At times anyway) but its been difficult as there has been no structure to my weeks so ive had to be strict and impose weekends and not treat it like one big holiday.

TPB

Well I work from home so it is nothing new for me to be here I live on a farm so be self isolate is fine  have three big gardens and animals to take care of People have been stopping by for eggs and produce so I get to talk to people even though it is from distance. feels strange not shake a customers hands after a purchase
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Greeny

I'm so happy you're all here.