Alonetone?

Started by Ferryman, May 04, 2020, 08:27:12 AM

Ferryman

Should I be there?

I know a lot of the posters here are on that site, I took a quick look and it seems aimed at people like a lot of us on here. But is it worth the time an effort joining up and posting? My first "love" is this site because it got me back into making music in the mid 2000s. I spend quite a lot of time listening to, and commenting on, music here. If I join there, will I just spend my entire life commenting on music? And becasue I don't want to be rude to my Songcrafters friends, will I be commenting twice on all your songs?

On the other hand, do folks see Songcrafters as a "secondary" site to Alonetone?

Thoughts please.......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

first off I am biased. But to me songcrafters is a more personable place to be. There is certainly more feedback and interaction here it seems than there. That said I am not a regular contributer there. But it always seemed a lonely place to me. Lots of music and posts but not much of a community. If there is i was not a part of that or saw much evidence of it. It does let you post larger files tho. so i have used it for that then linked to it via here. Anyway that's my thruppence worth.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Thanks Jim, I'm staying here then. I need to be working on music rather than posting on another site about people's work.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

alfstone

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on May 04, 2020, 10:30:41 AMfirst off I am biased. But to me songcrafters is a more personable place to be. There is certainly more feedback and interaction here it seems than there. That said I am not a regular contributer there. But it always seemed a lonely place to me. Lots of music and posts but not much of a community. If there is i was not a part of that or saw much evidence of it. It does let you post larger files tho. so i have used it for that then linked to it via here. Anyway that's my thruppence worth.

I agree 100%

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

thetworegs

I came over from alonetone it was the first place I tentatively stepped into the arena of playing to the internet  at large and I had and have a great experience with it and have met a great number of people from around the world on it and  collaborated with a great number of them too, it opened my eyes To what the internet has to offer. It wasn't until meeting Dave Berry on there that I came across somgcrafters I find the people on alonetkne encouraging and friendly it's a well run site  but you do have to spend sometime there the same as anywhere really you can't just pop in and  hope to connect  The apprenticeship has to be served. Like meets like you'll find its the same as here it's a bit like moving house suddenly you have more friends than you used too Give it a try

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

danthecoat

I joined there but couldn't get my head around the forum part ?? It only displayed two boards one for for ideas to make the site better and the other was a post from last year so i figured no one was hanging around anymore so that's where i left it. I didnt even load up any of my tunes.

WarpCanada

I discovered SOngcrafters.org because I have a boss BR600 and I was googling about how to do looping and repeat with the boss BR600 recorder and I ran across these forums.

I didn't even realize when I stumbled onto Songcrafters how there might be other places to post music online.   AloneTone seems like a positive friendly place.  Second place to Songcrafters , for me.

Songcrafters is a friendly community and folks listen to each other and talk about each other's music.  Over here feels like a  kinda coffee-klatsch for songwriters in some medium to large city somewhere in England or the Midwestern USA.  In short, I love it here.

I really detest Soundcloud, by the way, thanks for asking.  (Nobody asked, but I'm gonna rant about Soundcloud now.) ...

SoundCloud is (A) not sure who its audience is, (B) has no money for moderation or even any simple way to stop all the hot sexy link profile follower spam (MindyTHeMinxxxx is following you!),  (C) the web site UI is badly designed, for creators and for would-be listeners, and (D) Soundcloud has no sense of community, and (E) is full of spammers and hacks (hey Warren I see you posted a new track, please hit me up for some help getting this track to the "next level") selling their wares.  As a strictly non-commercial strictly amateur musician,  I think Soundcloud could have at least had a clear "amateur friendly" environment.  That's unfortunate because Soundcloud also is  home to a really strong synthwave/chill/electronica set of creators. 

I found a few other sites that are unsure if they are for amateurs or for "wannabe" semi-pros (folks with a dayjob who dream of making enough off spotify streams to quit their day-job)  or whatever.   No judging from me, because if that's your dream, God bless, but I just think that us confirmed Eternal Amateurs probably are happiest off in our own corner away from the scent of someone's fading dreams of musical glory.   Being the number one streamer on a streaming site nobody has heard of is a long way from getting 6,000,000 streams a year on spotify or having six figure income from apple music. 

I quite like Bandcamp and I give artists on bandcamp money and buy their music there.  If you're an up and coming or an indie settled artist, you should post your work and let people buy it on bandcamp.  I buy music and support artists I like who are either up and coming or grizzled veterans who haven't gotten enough top ten radio hits to be able to live on their residual checks.   I am not 100% sure Bandcamp alone is ENOUGH to keep soul and body together for actual grizzled veterans I know who sell music on there.  Bandcamp plus patreon seems like a workable combo.  Benn Jordan, for instance, is a true pro, and his income streams are (a) Youtube, (b) Spotify, (c) Bandcamp and (d) Other.     As "The Flashbulb" Benn's music is culturally significant and moderately successful although he's not a household name, he has a huge international fanbase.  I dig his stuff, which some people label "IDM" (Intelligent Dance Music), a genre name that I think is, ironically kinda dumb, given it has the word "intelligent" in the name. 
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Bluesberry

Quote from: thetworegs on May 04, 2020, 04:11:46 PMIt wasn't until meeting Dave Berry on there that I came across somgcrafters
Its true...I saw this Reg character and all his wacked out brilliant songs I just couldn't get enough...I just knew he would get along well with all us lunatics over here...so that is how Reg came over to our side...and we have all been the better for it.

As for alonetone, I post over there because I like how you can put all your songs together in a pretty nice way, but the interaction is not the same as over here...it feels pretty lonley as ORH said. This is a really interactive and active music site and that is hard to beat. There is more variety of music and genres over there, but the personal interaction is very limited.  Songcrafters is the place to be.  If you just want to post up a bunch of songs to have a location to share from, Alonetone is good for that....if you want to be part of a strong interactive encouraging musical community, It is hard to beat Songcrafters....we are the best site on the internet for the community aspect...I have dabbled in numerous sites over the years....songcrafters will always be my musical home site on the net...long live Songcrafters...I have been away from this site (and the internet in general) for a little while, but I am so glad to see this site is still thriving and I am glad to be able to come back to it again after my lay-about....long live Songcrafters...

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

alfstone

92 minutes standing ovation to Dave!

:)

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24