"Samaanya" by The Stan Laurels

Started by Bosko Schwartz, May 25, 2009, 09:32:30 PM

Bosko Schwartz

Samaanya
Time:
0:00
Volume:
As promised, here is the piano-driven Zombies-inspired (especially "Odessey & Oracle" era) tune I hadn't messed with for over a year, and have now re-visited and re-mixed to get ready for the upcoming album.

If you recall from my introduction, my debut album is going to be a concept album about alien abduction.  This is also a metaphor for a lot of the crazy shenanigans -- good and bad -- that have occurred in my life over the past ten or so years.  So this particular song is about the main character in the "mothership," after having been abducted.  First he babbles some crap about waiting for the "Space Police."  Then, he describes the namesake of the song, "Samaanya," who is either an alien or a robot, or some combination thereof, and toward the end of the song, he questions whether or not this is real or if he is "out of [his] fucking gourd."

I am well aware that to have an entire album filled up with such silliness means that I am not quite right in the head, but I am OK with that. ;D

(update by oldrottenhead) video for song now on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytVtRngTJ0s

Any and all feedback is welcome and encouraged.  Don't hold back!
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Blooby

We are apparently the lonely guys on this thread.  People still tend to hover over on the Micro BR side of things here.  Once again, you have pulled off not only a great tune, but the production is extremely impressive.  I think you might have nailed it on the first mix (that we've heard at least). 

I especially liked the interlude (not so much the fast arpeggios but more when it slows dow with the mellotrony sound over the top). 

I admire your piano skills as well.  It reminds me some of Neal Morse's solo stuff (not his progressive rock).  He did two albums, an eponymous one and another called It's Not Too Late that are piano heavy.  Check out the sound sample of the first tune here: http://www.amazon.com/Its-Not-Late-Neal-Morse/dp/B000067UNC

Peace.

Blooby

launched

OK - Just so you know, I picked this up earlier and didn't impetuously post a feelgood response to boost your ego. Not that I would anyway, but I wanted to give you a couple extra listens in a few separate audio environments - I had the uncanny vibe it's what you are looking for  :D.

First off, I love the song, which might make my opinion biased. It is unique, catchy and fun to listen to.

The playing and production value is high, along with quality phrasing - No flaws that an average/amateur listener-player such as myself would notice.

The three segment (Whatever you call it) format works well - I would have preferred a lengthier first segment as the rhythm guitar was pretty tasty and I wanted more, but that's what it is. The format reminds me of some Yes and Neil Young tunes (Starship Trooper, Broken Arrow, Cowgirl in the Sand, Down by the River, etc), especially when rolling into the last segment - Walter Mitty interludes all the way!!

Your vox are great and I like the tight delay to it - Works with your voice very well.

And last, I noticed Blooby gave you a proper and positive comment. From what I know so far he has the balls to be honest and direct (Tactfully and respectfully, of course!) -in my mind that's a good inclination you don't want to mess around with this number any more than necessary. Not to mention that he has the talent to back it up...

Hope I didn't bring offense - loved the post. Would like to hear some more from your upcoming album.

Later,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bosko Schwartz

Wow, 22 views and only 2 responses.  Sounds like I have gotten the ass-end of the phrase, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  Kind of fits with the overtly positive nature of this forum, so I guess getting no response is better than hearing things like "You're a hack!" or "Put down the piano and lick rhinoceros balls, good sir!"  I wonder if I blew it by telling people all that shit about alien abduction.  Maybe I have called myself out as the official wacko of the group a little too early in the game.  Either that, or I'm just a one-hit wonder.  Oh well, you can't strike gold every time.

Now, all of that said, two of you did take the time to post very lengthy reviews, so I have to heartily thank both Blooby and launched for doing so.

Bloob, thanks so much for the kind words, especially about the production.  Since I am taking the time to create a full-length album from scratch, I really want the production to be at least as good as I can get it.  It's never going to sound like George Martin or Eddie Offord, but I'll do my best.  This is definitely not the first mix, but the first try after having it sit on the shelf for a year plus.  Thanks also for the props on the piano playing.  I am no Billy Joel or Rick Wakeman, but I think I did OK this time around.  I couldn't get the Neal Morse link to play, but I will surely check him out.

launched, I'm not sure what you are referring to, as I found nothing offensive in your post.  I ask for nothing but honesty here.  This is not a "forum" for ego massaging.  Well, OK, judging from all of the posts I have read about everyone's work, I take that back -- it definitely is that, but my point is that I don't want people to say nice things if they don't mean them.  Even so, you had almost solely positive comments, so no need to apologize for anything!  Thanks for picking up on the Yes influence -- one of my top 3 favorite bands, without question.  I guess the first part could be longer, but then the song would go over 5 minutes, which I didn't really want to do.  I figure if people want more of that part, that's why I return to it in the third segment.  It's definitely a risk to throw that sort of "classical" interlude in the middle out of nowhere, but you will find that very few of my songs follow any sort of popular song pattern.  The sound I'm going for is "pop" (in the old school meaning of the word, a.k.a. Beatles, Zombies, Hollies, etc.) but sort of "prog" at the same time.  Certainly, my musicianship isn't at the caliber of most prog artists, but it's such a huge influence that I can't ignore it.  Plus, the subject matter is pretty fantastic and absurd, as with much prog.  So I guess it's sort of pop-psyche-prog.

To both of you, I think this is the final mix.  I don't have much feedback to weigh other than from the two of you and my own ears, and I think this one's an album-ready wrap that I will not be messing with again.  Thanks again very much to both of you! :)
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

The Reverend 48

Sorry its taken a bit to get to this, as you know the MBR section gets more use with all the MBR users..... on the upside the posts on all the other recorders stay up and live for a lot longer.......
This is musically and production wise so far beyond my level of expertise I feel I can't offer anything but praise...It is in a different league.....
I think that is another reason for the lack of comments......
A lot of us are on a very different place on our musical journey and need our ego's massaged to help us grow......

Greeny

I think everyone is having difficulty in keeping up with all the posts, so it's easier to gravitate to where your own BR 'kin' are - in my case, the Micro. So please don't take any lack of comment or views personally. Believe me, if this were on the BR Micro thread, people would be lavishing praise galore on it  :)

I can hear the Beatles in this pretty clearly (with a bit of Colin Blunstone, for sure), which for me, is the best thing in the world. But then it has all sorts of other things going on too. And I love the shifts through different phases. I saw you liked TomH86's work - and I can hear why. You both share a similar(ish) vocal style. This is really GREAT music. It's expertly played and produced. As 48 points out, it's almost in a different league to the rest of us. That doesn't mean that there's jealousy on here, just an awkwardness for some people in knowing what to say. Remember that there a some people who have been here a long time, and we've seen them grow and improve over time. This track alone shows that you are already at a level way beyond what most of us will ever get to.

Anyway - I liked it a lot!!!!!! Actually, more than a lot! And as for weirdness, you're in fine company here, so I wouldn't worry about that.

And for those of us in the UK, part of the melody will seem quite familiar....  :D :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0u7a-k7yUA

Bro

Great job!

Nice piano chords, it really adds something to the song!

Nice Vocals too! How did you do the drums?
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

indierik

Holy shit man, this is BRILLIANT (I try not over use that word as it gets diluted)!!!! Are you kidding me? You're a genius (another word I try not to over use)! First of all, this is my kind of ear; Flaming Lips meets Bill Ricchini, but unique in itself. melodic, catchy, interesting, intelligent, creative, conceptual.....you get the point. I don't want to offend anyone else on this site, but, honestly I'm kind of surprised you're here; I had the impression this was a site for a bunch of hacks (I'm referring mostly to myself of course) not professionals who probably have been classically trained and play in front of large audiences (something I have never done til' this day). (I should delete the above because it's bound to offend someone, but it gets my point across) Thank you, for turning me onto my new favorite band! Can I be president of you fan club? hehe. JK.

I really need to spend more time over here in the MBR 1600 (which I'd love to own, been feeling limited lately with the BR, but I can't afford it, nor can I justify it, as I don't play that many instruments)

And btw, when someone as talented as you compliments little ol' me I am humbled with a smile.

Thank you.

Amazing!!! 
Without music, life would be a mistake.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Oldrottenhead

nearly missed this, tho ive been listening to it on your myspace site. ive been away for a day with work and its catch up time, like greeny sez, br1600 seems to be a wilderness, i'd just post your songs in mbr section and then in intro saqy oh i did this on my br1600 no one would mind i dont think.
re the song reminds me of genisis at times with the sort of melotronny sound. very prog. oh spotted the steptoe thing lol. great reminds me of grandaddy to
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Satchwood

Wow - cool song: enjoyed the singing & guitars and then a surprize piano solo!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)