I hate modern mastering and production techniques

Started by Ferryman, April 24, 2020, 09:09:58 AM

Mike_S

Have to say also the whole idea of lo-fi interests me as a concept. Maybe this is a more extreme example of imperfections in music. I hadn't really realised it was considered a movement or genre as such until I read a bit about Daniel Johnston after his passing. There is definitely a place in the world for it IMO. I guess there is a balance to be struck to pull it off successfully. There must be enough good elements of the performance to outweigh the imperfections I guess, skill, passion, creativity or whatever. And maybe the tension between the two sides adds another level of another intrigue or enjoyment!?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo-fi_music
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Flash Harry

I have a favourite track, Lord Tanamo - I'm in the mood for love.

It's recorded on the precursor to the old tin box, probably from a single carbon mouthpiece from a Bell telephone.

It's an awful recording, levels are all over the place, it distorts with the rise in volume of the horns. The drum kit is a s sloppy as the loosest pizza you have ever seen, but it's utterly fantastic. Of the worst recordings in the world, this is amongst the best. I have a secret unsubstantiated belief that despite the worst gear available even at the time that this was recorded, the engineer dragged this seminal recording out of the abyss and produced one of the  most iconic tracks of the early 20th century.

Debate me.

(I can smell cooking bacon)
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mike_S

Quote from: Flash Harry on May 05, 2020, 04:50:15 PMI have a favourite track, Lord Tanamo - I'm in the mod for love.

It's recorded on the precursor to the old tin box, probably from a single carbon mouthpiece from a Bell telephone.

It's an awful recording, levels are all over the place...

(I can smell cooking bacon)

Hehe... so I just looked it up un you tube. That so cheered me up. I am with you, this was so nice. Such a happy track and yes that cloudy, dodgy mix just adds to the charm for me. Sort of like if you just plonked an old cassette recorder in front of the band and just hit record. But however they recorded it, there is a magic in it for sure. Even the you tube video captures the right spirit... just a crappy little animated gif of a couple of people dancing repeating for 2 or 3 mins. Love it!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ADRdF3Gac
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Lord Tanamo - what an amazing track. Something that good doesn't need production trickery or agonising about the details.