Me Too - AndyR Original (Remastered)

Started by AndyR, April 21, 2020, 09:59:24 AM

AndyR

(Remastered 22/10/2021)

Here we go, this is the one I did in two days over the Easter weekend before I started recording Forever.

It's slightly darker and more claustophobic!!

I switched the BR1600 on to see if it would still work... it's not doing too bad. I didn't intend to actually record anything, just to wind up a guitar and hammer away against a rock beat. It felt good so I pressed record.

Mrs R liked what was coming out, so I sorted some lyrics out.

The two guitars are a BMG Red Special through a Yamaha THR100HD straight into the desk.
The bass is a Fender Jazz 75 RI (it's no longer got flats on it Flash, you were right!) going through a Bass POD XT something or other (some kind of fuzzy patch)

There's a fair bit of copying and pasting in the guitar and bass parts, I don't usually do that... I can hear the odd join, but Mrs R couldn't.

Now I know lots of folk think I know what I'm doing - I don't really. In fact, I was SO scared of how to use the reverb I decided to leave it out until nearer the end... and then I decided it was good enough without any ;D ;D ;D

On alonetone I published this with "Greetings from the Easter Bunny 2020", a bit late now, but it does kinda go with the lyrics in my mind.

Me Too
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
--------------------------------

It can only be a mystery
Doesn't work out like you plan
If you cannot see your answers in your questions
How will you hope to understand

Me I came to be a good friend to you
I wanted all the best for you

But you always disappoint me
Mistaking me for something else

And though I carry off your pain
Still you never speak my name

If your right eye does offend you
You've been known to put it out
But if you will not see the wrong that is inside you
It's no surprise you have a doubt

Me I came to shoulder burdens for you
I hoped that you'd behave the same

You're such a disappointment to me
But I can't let you slip away

So I still carry off your pain
Though I never hear my name
You don't ever speak my name

That's right
Me too
I need love

Copyright (C) 2020 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

Quote from: AndyR on April 21, 2020, 09:59:24 AMThe bass is a Fender Jazz 75 RI (it's no longer got flats on it Flash, you were right!) going through a Bass POD XT something or other (some kind of fuzzy patch)

I can't believe that you remembered!

It's a great rocker Andy! I love the whammy bar (and the bass sounds fab)

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

AndyR

Quote from: Flash Harry on April 21, 2020, 10:25:51 AMI can't believe that you remembered!

Hehe... I'd often wondered about it ever since you said it - I forget nothing... or at least, I don't remember forgetting anything!!!

Then with Neil Peart going, I've been on a HUGE Geddy Lee kick recently. I was getting tempted to get his signature Jazz, when I realised the original is a "70s" and... I've got a 70s reissue already...

Next was "how do I get that clank, then?" and discovered he uses the Stainless Steel Rotosounds ... it's an unbelievably versatile bass now.

Incidentally, as the "bass player" on this I was rather disappointed I couldn't find something better than dungadungadunga with a plectrum... but during mixing it was "oh yeah, bass player did  good, nice and easy to mix" ;D ;D ;D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

Quote from: AndyR on April 21, 2020, 10:40:32 AMIncidentally, as the "bass player" on this I was rather disappointed I couldn't find something better than dungadungadunga with a plectrum... but during mixing it was "oh yeah, bass player did  good, nice and easy to mix" ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, bass players just need to turn up and do the job. Ask Guy Pratt.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

SE

Proggy rock goodness, great  throbbing  guitar and cool vocals, lots to like ,cool job!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Greeny

Many things to like and absorb... the meaty chug of the riffing, the drama of the vocal, the angry barb of the lyric, the interesting chord shifts. An absolute belter.

andy casson

This is fab young man, great piece of prog rock! I know that feeling of 'I like that..must hit record', Mrs C never says that though...

Redler

Well written and performed rock song! The bass has a real ROCK tone. Everything works so well!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

This is really cool Andy. I love the punchy, spacious mix. It really lets the guitars, bass and drums sit perfectly with each other. The vocals are superb, you made it tough on yourself with those subtle, non-obvious chord changes on the "chorus" part. I was singing along in my head and I couldn't follow those changes without going out of tune....

Overall a great rocker, really enjoyed this. 

Quote from: AndyR on April 21, 2020, 10:40:32 AMIncidentally, as the "bass player" on this I was rather disappointed I couldn't find something better than dungadungadunga with a plectrum... but during mixing it was "oh yeah, bass player did  good, nice and easy to mix" ;D ;D ;D
Funny you should say that. I'm working a track that is quite similar to this in many ways and I have just ended up doing a root note dungadunga bass line with a few octave jumps and fifths. I was thinking all the time "I should be doing something cleverer than this" but then I just said, what the heck, dungadunga works. And  you proved it does here!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

better than I remember. bra bro!
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann