What one album...?

Started by Mike_S, April 18, 2020, 06:03:36 AM

Farrell Jackson

Crosby, Stills and Nash - CSN. I was impressed that three guys could harmonize that well together and mix acoustic and electric guitars in a rock setting. There are many other albums but I'll go with this one for being most influential....at least for the moment, lol.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Redler

The most significant album to me was Ramones - Ramones (released 1976). This was totally new and fresh. A lots of energy and catchy 2 minutes songs. Four guys front of a brick wall, so ascetic. It was easy to take guitar and strum along...and soon I noticed I had based a punk band.

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Mike Huntingford

Hotel California - The Eagles

Mike Huntingford

recorder
Reaper

Ferryman

Very interesting thread, many albums that I've enjoyed over the years. And Hook, what an eclectic selection! I never thought I would see Billy Bragg and Violent Femmes keeping company with Motley Crue..... :o

It's hard to pick out a single album because I am so old and have had so many "pivotal" albums. The Beatles White Album, Foxtrot (Genesis), Damned, Damned, Damned (by the Damned surprisingly), Low/Heroes/The Idiot/Lust for Life by Bowie/Iggy and many more.

If you force me to pick one, it will have to be "Roxy Music" by Roxy Music. I was 15, just starting to play in a band and everything about Roxy just blew me away. The image, the sounds, the vocals, the songs and of course Phil Manzanera's guitar playing. I was lucky enough to see them in '74 while Eno was still with them.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Wonderful thread! Like many, depending on the time I could have many choices, especially from the late Seventies through the Eighties - but for the sake of this thread, I'd choose this one:

My dad got this LP sometime in 1964 before he went to Vietnam. While he was there, my mother and I moved in with my maternal grandparents in Maine for six months while dad was away. I remember seeing the Beatles on one of the Ed Sullivan Shows that year, and begging my mother (and grandparents) to put this on the record player (actually, one of those "console" sets they used to make in the Sixties) and play it over and over again. The songs on this LP made a lasting impression on me.

I continued to play it variously throughout my childhood (once my parents let me work their phonograph by myself, and after I got my own cheapo record player), and now feel extremely lucky to still have the original LP, and it still plays pretty well! I still consider it (and of course With The Beatles, where most of the songs were originally released in the UK) to be one of their less-appreciated early albums.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

T.C. Elliott

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

Got the double vinyl from a church yard sale leftover pile and listened to it repeatedly for months as a teenager. It's amazing.

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

IanR

When I was about 12 I went to my cousin's for sleep over and listened to Queen I, Queen II and Led Zepplin's In Through the Out Door on headphones. This blew my mind and I have never been the same since.

But the best album ever put together is Elvis Costello's King of America. Beautiful songwriting, perfect playing and excellent production.

Ian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hytYgRmzTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y34t2aKy9Oo

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

danthecoat

My brother had this album and it totally blew me way at the time and i knew from thn that i wanted to make music

It later became Space Oddity and my brother still has this record though its in a much worse state now :)