recorder to replace Micro BR?

Started by StevieM, April 15, 2020, 06:50:00 AM

StevieM

Hi everyone.
I've not been on here for such a long time now. I haven't been on any other forums either, just not been playing.
I've got a question, if it's not the right board let me know and I'll move it.
It looks like my micro BR has probably given up the ghost at long last so I'll have to replace it. Just wondering what others to look at?
It doesn't have to be as small and portable as the Micro, but the same sort of features and useability would be good. Not too expensive either, I'm quite happy to look at second hand.
Cheers.
Steve.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Redler

Hi Stevie

Nice to see you for long time!

I have experience with BR-80. It is a bit different to Micro BR; 8 tracker with 64 virtual tracks, the drum machine is easier to program, a lots of Cosm effects and it works on audio interface as well! It has very sensitive mics. Im a owner of it since 2011 and I like it!

If you are thinking to purchase a second hand BR80, be sure that the wheel of it works perfectly. This has been quite common problem on some recorders. It's difficult to change tempo, effects, because the wheel is "crazy". The 9 years old BR80 works fine, but just purchased another second hand one for 50 € and it has that problem, the seller mentioned about it, tho. It needs fixing and there's some tips on youtube.

I wrote few lines on cell phone...
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hook

I love my Br80 and wouldnt go back to an MBR if I had a choice but there are some features I miss. I miss being able to adjust levels while bouncing/mastering. I miss the fornylon vox setting and holding it like a mic to do my vocals. But the BR80 is a wonderful upgrade. If effects and drums aren't important check out Tascams Dp008ex. Rock solid machine, easy to use and great mics. I would stay away from the handheld zoom machines. If you want to go big the Tascam Dp24sd is awesome. Good luck.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

StevieM

Ok, Thanks both.
Looks like my MBR will be ok for a while after all, but the power jack is dodgy as well, so possibly not all that much longer.
I will definitely consider the 80, but was thinking maybe going to br 600 or similar? Anyone any thoughts?
Cheers.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Redler

Quote from: StevieM on April 17, 2020, 07:46:47 AMOk, Thanks both.
Looks like my MBR will be ok for a while after all, but the power jack is dodgy as well, so possibly not all that much longer.
I will definitely consider the 80, but was thinking maybe going to br 600 or similar? Anyone any thoughts?
Cheers.

BR-600 needs 1Gb Compact Flash card and it's hard to find them anymore. Good recorder, but that feature is absolutely disadvantage of it.
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hook

Yeah, the 1gig compact flash could ve an issue. If you happen to have a bunch of them though I might consider the Br900, much better machine than the 600 and you can find them used. But really with the advances to SD card it seems silly not to go with something a little more updated.
The Br800 is also a great option, super cool machine.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

StevieM

Boognish

I had a microBR first.
It's what brought me here, before here was here.
I think it was BossBR.net or something ????

Anyway that crashed maybe in 2010ish, I got a br-600 secondhand and it's great.
1G CompactFlash cards are hard to find these days but not impossible.

It's a bit of a dinosaur by now but I don't really mind as I like that it's all simple and intact, no computer connection, no cords other than my guitar and headphones.

I'm not sure if there's too many of these ones left but I'm sure the 800, etc are as good or better. I'll probably be looking soon enough ????
 I feel like I'm pretty set on Boss BR line as I'm good enough with controls, etc.
Okay to cover.