Big Dog Blues (Wiley's Bass Track) - AndyR & PJ Original

Started by AndyR, May 25, 2009, 11:59:07 AM

AndyR

Well, I've taken a slightly different approach - I didn't feel I could add anything to the electric versions so far (and the others that I guess might be coming).

Also, I fancied trying to record some accoustic with the MBR's inbuilt mic if I could...

So I dusted off the tin geetar and started fiddling.

The guitar on the right was the first attempt, wasn't really thinking there'd be any vocals, so I didn't leave any spaces. Wasn't really that happy with it, but while I was listening to many playbacks, deciding whether to go again, I started singing gibberish and playing another part, so I practiced a bit and recorded the vocal. Then I recorded the other part (on the left) and started mixing and bouncing.

In the end I decided to leave all the parts as they were, only the vocal is a second take.

MANY THANKS WILEY  ;D, lovely bass part, and just the right length...  You've certainly given me a lot of fun this afternoon... :)

Next time though, can we have it in G?  ;) I'm a bit out of my comfort zone playing in open D on the tin guitar!! (It wasn't too happy at the retune either  :D)

And once again, the MBR has stunned me - easily usable vocal and guitars from the internal mic... this little silver box is an absolute treasure!

EDIT 29/05/2009: I've remixed it, as discussed somewhere in the thread.

Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Blooby

Wow, I really enjoyed that.  The acoustic and singing both brought a smile to my face.

It sounds great, but I would consider dropping out the second acoustic track (or play it very straight rhythmically and let the other guitar be the feature).  Just one man's opinion.

Peace.

Blooby

Bro

This one had me jammin along :)

Loved it! I would love to try to do a electric guitar for this.

Do you mind? Great job anyway!!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

AndyR

Yeah Blooby, I think the two accoustics are actually a bit loud now, or possibly separated to far across the stereo - I did consider remixing, but decided it wasn't worth the effort  :D

jimi - feel free ;D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Geir

We definitively have got another great singer aboard!! And a fine musician too!!!

This was a great post! I loved that dual guitars. sounded right that they were not too perfect, my be too wide mix for headphones but works fine one speakers!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Rockatron

Love your singing!!  Soulful and filled with emotions!  Gotta get one of those steelguitars!  wonderful!
recorder
Boss BR-80

"Play, just play..."

Wiley

Wow I wasn't expecting anyone to add vocals to it either. but it came out great Great bluesy sound and voice.  Loved the acoustic feel.

Oldrottenhead

great post andy
QuoteAnd once again, the MBR has stunned me - easily usable vocal and guitars from the internal mic... this little silver box is an absolute treasure!
am i right in thinking you have just discovered the immediacy of the mbr in that you can practically catch ideas out of the air. i have listened to your stuff on soundclick and know you spend a lot of time with the finer details so this post is a doubley great surprise in that its raw, fresh and spontaneous, how many times does it happen you have an idea and it takes ages to get your gear set up and you forget the idea, not now with your mbr, mine never leaves my side you should see the looks i get when walking the dog 
QuoteI started singing gibberish
i do that all the time but i thought it just me and too many beers lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

AndyR

Thanks folks.

Glad you liked it Wiley  :)

I haven't just discovered that immediacy, orh, but I have only just proved it for myself  :D

I asked Father Christmas for the MBR, exactly for that side of it (actually, I had to go to the shop and pay for it myself, and then "Father Christmas" refunded me on presentation of the receipt - but I still had to wait until Christmas morning before I could open the box :D).

But what I found, almost immediately, was the quality of what you can record, and the processing available onboard. That immediately sucked me into my usual "how do we make this as good as possible?" frame of mind. I'm still quite surprised that I personally can get better finished productions, faster, out of this little box than I can out of my DAW!

I'm stunned by the production side of the MBR, but I hadn't actually used the immediacy side until today.

Actually, finding this forum a week or so ago, and listening to the stuff everyone else is posting, has been a big boost and a help for me. I knew sooner or later I'd be doing something quick and just posting it - I'm glad it's sooner.

I'm also hearing all sorts of different types of music on here, that kind of interest me, and that I can see are actually within my reach. That's gonna start coming out as well at some point I think. Because I fronted bands for a long time, I usually tend to write and arrange for the "Andrew Russe band", I think that's one of the reasons I can complete recordings like I do - I can hear what it's meant to sound like before I start. BUT! hearing what everyone on here is doing, it's taking me right back many years when "all bets were off" over musical style for me - this place is proving pretty liberating for me from that point of view.

I mean, this might sound daft, but look at the vocal on this one. A week or so ago I'd never have done what I did this afternoon: knowing I was likely to post whatever I came up with, I thought "hey! let's see if I can record me trying to sing like Howling Wolf..."   ... usually I feel very self-constrained that I ought to sound like me, a UK-based white-boy, and I often have vague problems over what accent to use for bluesy stuff. But I found out a year or two ago that I can sing a little bit like the Wolf, and I suspect that when he was singing it was actually a "character" he put on anyway, same as me when imitating him, and this thing was just crying out for it, so I thought what the hell  8).

(I'll probably send this one to my old drummer - he's a dobro man - and he will not recognise his old front man :D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Geir

Quotethis place is proving pretty liberating for me from that point of view.
you're not alone in that matter ... I've never made so much different music in my whole musical life as I've done these last two months after becoming active here !! And like orh I always carry the mbr with me (except when my daughter takes it) ... I even recorded the vox to a song walking around in the city at night.

and I must say again : this was a really great song !!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........