Italian recipes - Risotto alla milanese

Started by alfstone, April 02, 2020, 11:00:14 AM

alfstone

According to Flash Harry's request, and as a hommage to Lombardy, here is one of the "Italian classics"

Risotto alla milanese (Milan-style risotto)

(for 2 persons)

In a pot, boil some water, and when it boils, put inside one vegetable broth nut, and let it apart for now.

In another large pot, grate 1/4 of an onion very, very fine.

Add olive oil. Low flame.

When the onion is "blonde", put the rice inside (200 grams), and always with low flame mix it until it becomes someway "sparkling" (just 3-4 minutes)

Add half glass of white wine, and let it evaporate, as usual low flame (the whole recipe is ALWAYS very low flame).

Add to the rice 1 packet of saffron. Mix.

At this point, begin to pour some of the water with the vegetable broth nut into the rice pot, and MIX.

Add some black pepper powder and just a little salt (since the vegetable broth is already salted)

Mix continously the rice, if possible with a wooden spoon: this is mandatory, OR the rice will stick to the bottom of the pot), and when you notice there's no more liquid, add immediately some other broth.

Keep on this way (mixing and adding broth) until the rice is cooked (time depends on the kind of rice, the one I use is more or less 16 minutes for cooking).

When you taste the rice and it has the right consistency, turn off the flame, and add to the risotto some butter and grated parmesan cheese.

Of course there should absolutely NO LIQUID in the risotto at this point: I mean, at the end the rice  is COMPACT, no liquid at all...

Buon appetito!

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Ferryman

You are reminding of some wonderful meals I have had in Milan!

Great recipe, what wine do you recommend with it? We need to know  ;)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

alfstone

Quote from: Ferryman on April 02, 2020, 11:14:54 AMYou are reminding of some wonderful meals I have had in Milan!

Great recipe, what wine do you recommend with it? We need to know  ;)

Any white wine is ok. Just half glass, not more.

Thanks!  :)

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Ferryman

Quote from: alfstone on April 02, 2020, 11:25:30 AMJust half glass, not more.
:o I'm English, there's no such thing as "half" a glass of any alcoholic drink!!!!! (better not ask Jim about this)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Sounds amazing. I love Italian food.

I don't think there is such a thing as 'half a glass' in Britain though.

Flash Harry

Thank you Alfredo! That sounds delicious, I'll try that.

Here is my tried and tested bread recipe:

500g strong white flour
350g cold water
10g salt
7g yeast

mix everything together in a bowl - use a mixer with a dough hook if you have one, if you do mix for 10 minutes at medium speed.

If you don't have a mixer, knead the dough on a floured worktop for 10 minutes. To do this you stretch the dough out and fold it back on top of itself, pressing down as you do, make a 1/4 turn and do the same again, and again for 10 minutes. The dough will become elastic and smooth.

Put the dough back into the bowl and cover to stop it drying out. Leave it to rise until it is doubled in size. This can take an hour or two. 

Knead the dough again on a floured surface for a few minutes until all the air is out. Put the dough in a loaf tin (or just on a baking tray) that has been lightly oiled and floured. Leave it to rise again until it is doubled in size.

Bake for 30 minutes in a hot over, 200-220 degrees C. When its cooked it should sound hollow when you tap the bottom of the bread.

Leave to cool on a wire rack.

If you like crusty bread, put a tray of water in the bottom of the oven when you turn it on. The steam generated makes a lovely crusty loaf. 
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.