How are you doing? How are you keeping busy?

Started by Flash Harry, April 02, 2020, 03:55:01 AM

Flash Harry

Quote from: alfstone on April 02, 2020, 09:59:24 AMItalian cooking (and James experimented something...)  ;D

Share some recipes Alfredo!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mike_S

Very interesting guys... well music is my number 1 thing in my spare time. So now with all this extra time now apart from messing around on my guitar all I have been doing is watching movies and Netflix, etc.

The thing I was planning on revisiting on my retirement (still a good few years away) was painting and drawing. I went to art school in Belfast and chickened out of pursuing a career in fine art and became a graphic designer. But i always wanted to take it up again.

Other interests... have a collection of old 2000ad comics, a few hundred I guess and started collecting militaria a few years back but didn't get too far as had to cut back a bit on expenditure, might pick it up again when things improve.
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Quote from: Diego Ayala on April 02, 2020, 08:06:53 AMWow ~ did you modeled the figurines?
The figures are commercial kits which were slightly adapted and painted by me. My next move in this hobby is to start sculpting and modelling the actual figures myself, but that's quite a big step up.....

Quote from: Greeny on April 02, 2020, 08:07:29 AMI love that, Nigel. The technique in making the water & mud etc realistic fascinates me. And dioramas generally - hugely creative. This one looks absolutely brilliant!

I'm guessing you probably enjoyed The Great Model Railway Challenge series on TV? (I did!).
The concept of dioramas does indeed fascinate me. Making the scenic stuff and creating the setting to tell a story is just as much fun as making and painting the figure kits. It's something I am trying to develop - moving from making model kits to creating something that is quite unique. I know a couple of chaps in this world who both trained as artists and they bring an artist's perspective to this. Both are helping me to progress. Much like this site has helped me do with music!

And yes, I did enjoy the Great Model Railway Challenge  ;D

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Quote from: Mike_S on April 02, 2020, 10:34:58 AMI guess and started collecting militaria a few years back but didn't get too far as had to cut back a bit on expenditure, might pick it up again when things improve.
What era Mike? I study the Napoleonic era and WWI, although I don't have any militaria.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mike Huntingford

Besides composing music, I, almost daily now, jam with other players around the world real-time with NIMJAMS application.  It is fantastic.  Just last night, I participated as 1 of 12 jammers on one server.  There were tons of servers open and almost all were busy (a totally unusual circumstance).

If you're interested, you can get DAW called Reaper ( https://www.reaper.fm/ ) and use the included reaNIMJAM plug-in to access the jams.  You can also review jams that occur nightly here: https://archive.org/details/ninjam?sort=-date

This will give you an idea of how well it all works.

Stay healthy my friends.

Mike
Mike Huntingford

recorder
Reaper

hooper

Ferryman... You must still have good eyes and steady hands. Those models sure look great!  I enjoy studying American Civil War history because some of it took place not that far from my own backyard. And I expect that the history you are interested in probably happened not far from your own backyard...?
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Ferryman

Quote from: hooper on April 02, 2020, 05:57:09 PMFerryman... You must still have good eyes and steady hands. Those models sure look great!  I enjoy studying American Civil War history because some of it took place not that far from my own backyard. And I expect that the history you are interested in probably happened not far from your own backyard...?
Steady hands but failing eyesight! I use a magnifier for painting in this scale....

The Napoleonic wars were a turning point in Europe's history so have always fascinated me. I guess Europe is our "backyard" and I have visited several of the battlefields. WWI is of interest because both my grandfathers fought in the conflict, again I have visited several of the WWI battlefields, which is very moving.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Redler

Interesting thread!

Not many sportsmen here so far...

Music and sport are the most important interests to me. I started seriously playing tennis when I was 22 years old, wasn't so skillfull, but I had runner (sprinter) background and I was in very good shape. I was a offensive baseliner and reached a certain national level. I haven't played tournaments anymore, but I still play 3-4 times per week during April to October. I like mountain biking and road biking as well.

In the winter time I go for cross country skiing and ski 1000 - 2500 kms / winter.

Keeping fit gives a pleasure to me and hopefully healthy years when I'm getting older.

I've brewed my beer since 1990, so relaxing with beer is nice sometimes, not daily...

25 years ago, I was a enthusiastic fisherman; carved, painted and varnished my wooden wobblers. I noticed that them were as good as the wobblers at store, or even better. Then I quit fishing, but started it again a couple years ago. Usual catch is perch, pike and pike-perch. Yes, and fishing is taking place at the cabin or at home by the river!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

IanR

Whilst I would like to be able to tell you what I am doing with all my additional spare time due to the bloody lockdown, I haven't had much yet. I am working from home and it seems that it takes quite a lot of extra mental energy to stay connected that way.

I have managed to do some more music, and I have increased my exercise regime , which for me involve s bushwalking and mountain biking.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Hook

Another cool thread, very impressive stuff Ferryman. My wife and I stopped working almost 2 weeks ago, so that means full time parenting. My 2 youngest require alot of direction and entertaing. Being stuck in the neighborhood and having the pool closed has been pretty restrictive for my kids. we usually are on the go quite a bit so that's been rough on my wife, she's not a sit around type of gal. Lot's of board games, bike rides and walks. I spray the kids down while they jump on the trampoline, then deal with however is melting down next. Good times. Tonight we camp in the backyard, tent is all set up. I can't wait to not sleep on my amazing temperpeidic mattress.
Being home has taken most of my creative energy and time up. I usually sneak hours here and there inbetween gigs in the car but...sadly no gigs.
Gonna have to make some decisions here soon as bills still need to get paid, might have to get back out there and drive for ubereats. well see.
stay safe everyone.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely