Fed up with computer based recording

Started by kenny mac, April 01, 2020, 10:47:51 AM

IanR

I have gone totally Presonus for hardware and software.

The whole ecosystem is beautifully simple and integrated. I get free updates for software, just like in the old days with Sonar Platinum (RIP).

The Presonus stuff never fails, even on my fairly mainstream and middle aged laptop.

Best wishes,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Hook

Tascam DP24sd...you won't regret it!!!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

chapperz66

Quote from: IanR on April 03, 2020, 11:32:56 PMI have gone totally Presonus for hardware and software.

The whole ecosystem is beautifully simple and integrated. I get free updates for software, just like in the old days with Sonar Platinum (RIP).

The Presonus stuff never fails, even on my fairly mainstream and middle aged laptop.

Best wishes,

Ian

I totally agree with Ian.  I also use Presonus studio one with a Presonus interface and for me it has been absolutely rock solid for the last 4 years.  I used a BR1180 and then a BR1600 for years and absolutely loved them.  When the 1600 started to give me some issues I made the tough - and scary - decision to move to a DAW based setup.  There was a bit of a learning curve of course but now I wouldn't dream of going back.   I honestly don't think that I could produce the sort of music I like without my DAW.  It helps to have a fairly meaty computer.  Mine is 4 years old now but was fairly high spec when I bought it - I7 quad core with 32gb Ram but although it is getting a bit long in the tooth now it just seems to handle what I throw at it.  I read somewhere that it helps if you can use a dedicated machine and don't load games or even office software.  The other thing that made a tremendous difference to the performance of my system was optimising it for audio purposes.  There are loads of videos on youtube that explain the process so that even a non techy like me can do it easily. The main thing is to turn the minimum power settings up to max on the processor cores.  There are a few other things recommended but this is the main one. 

But all this is only my opinion - and I can totally understand if people prefer to use a standalone hardware recorder.  I did exactly that for years and loved doing so. 

Paul

Ferryman

Even though I use a DAW for mixing and mastering, I record everything to the BR-800. It's easy, safe and secure, and I know how it works. I just export anything I have recorded as .WAV files to my DAW (Samplitude) for mixing and then I use Ozone 9 for mastering. I can also do a quick mix on the BR-800 if needed as I build up parts.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

pjd1

Tascam DP24sd...you won't regret it , solid as a rock , no drum machine but plenty of stuff out there as you probably no . real buttons , sliders , decent setup, and there is a chap on youtube who makes really great tutorials on all aspects of the machine , which is a godsend , take a look it may wet your whistle
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Mike Huntingford

Quote from: Ferryman on April 05, 2020, 05:01:11 AMEven though I use a DAW for mixing and mastering, I record everything to the BR-800. It's easy, safe and secure, and I know how it works. I just export anything I have recorded as .WAV files to my DAW (Samplitude) for mixing and then I use Ozone 9 for mastering. I can also do a quick mix on the BR-800 if needed as I build up parts.

I second the smart use of Ozone 9 for mastering.  Guess what - visit Isotope's page and snatch up Ozone 9 Standard for only $99 USD versus regular price of $249 USD.  Don't know how much longer this sale will last.  Also, music stores are still selling it for $249.
Mike Huntingford

recorder
Reaper