Revealed: The Wombles were actually The Beatles (well, most of them)

Started by Greeny, April 01, 2020, 06:54:24 AM

Greeny

In an exclusive interview with the Liverpool Echo, Mike Batt finally reveals that 70's kids supergroup The Wombles had Paul, George and Ringo as members. Only John Lennon refused to be involved, unhappy that all the group's recording sessions were to be held at Abbey Road ("I'm done with that place").

Songwriter Batt recalls that the other three Beatles jumped at the chance to don the costumes for original photoshoots and to play on all of the Womble's early hit records. However, they allowed stand-ins to cover Top of the Pops, Crackerjack, and a host of other children's TV programmes.

"It's incredible nobody twigged" says Batt, even though it was a tightly guarded secret. "Paul even tried to provide a visual clue by using his actual Rickenbacker bass on the original photo sessions. And Ringo would often do his trademark victory sign. Even though we told him not to, he just couldn't help it".

Batt first met them when he was recording his Butterfly Ball album at Abbey Road at the start of the 70's.

The Wombles went on to have 16 hit singles, but within a year of joining, all of the Beatles had moved on to other solo projects.

cuthbert

You had me for a second there - I had to double-check the date. :) And then I checked out "The Wombling Song". Not so improbable!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Greeny

Yes, it's my own attempt at an April Fool.

Guitarist Chris Spedding really was in the Wombles though.

Mike_S

Hehe, thank you for that... shame its not true... I believe they might have been in the Banana Splits though but I could be mistaken?
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

Quote from: Mike_S on April 01, 2020, 04:02:10 PMI believe they might have been in the Banana Splits though but I could be mistaken?

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before - but then again, there is this:  ;D

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

hooper

QuoteInteresting, I hadn't heard that before - but then again, there is this:

Well, often a well constructed lie will have a bit of truth in it.
Don't ask me how I know...
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE