Manu Dibango has died at 86 of the coronavirus

Started by Ted, March 25, 2020, 06:35:08 PM

Ted

From Manu Dibango's official Facebook page:

QuoteDear family, dear friends, dear fans,

A voice raises from far away...

It is with deep sadness that we announce you the loss of Manu Dibango, our Papy Groove, who passed away on 24th of March 2020, at 86 years old, further to covid 19.

His funeral service will be held in strict privacy, and a tribute to his memory will be organized when possible.

If you wish to express your condolences, please write to the following email : manu@manudibango.net

To Manu, Ad Lib...

I used to play two Manu Dibango songs in a band in Phoenix – and I'd never heard of Manu Dibango. One song was a cover of a cover; we picked up "Soul Makossa" by way of The Bonedaddys. The other song, "Choc 'N' Soul" on an uncredited mixtape a friend gave me.

Quite by coincidence, I ended up living for two years in Dibango's birth country: Cameroon.

I'm currently listening to this concert from 2018. (Dibango strolls in after about nine minutes, if you want to skip the Jazz jam):

Here are just a few of the tributes that have been published, including (last) a piece I wrote ten years ago.

I live in Madagascar now. When I visualize Africa, I still think Madagascar as Manu Dibango's shoe:

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Flash Harry

My Idol is Jahia turned me onto Manu yesterday I think it was when he said that Manu had died of Covid-19. I went and had a listen.  I love this world music stuff, I'm a fan of Fela Kuti's music, I'd not heard of Manu, though I must have heard his music.

We're all at risk. Talented or otherwise.

Check out Alfredo's thread on being prepared and safe - there's a link to the post:

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=29310.msg348830#msg348830
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Johnbee

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!