working from home

Started by Flash Harry, March 25, 2020, 05:31:57 AM

Flash Harry

Hi All

These are strange times, I'm fortunate that I can work from home and I'm pretty much unaffected by the social separation.

It got me wondering, I know we are all musicians but many of us work as other things because music seldom pays the bills. What does everyone do when they are not being an active musician?

I'm an IT infrastructure architect, which means that I spend a lot of time thinking and writing technical documents about IT systems.

So what's your day job?

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Even my mum and family don't know or understand what I do  ;D

I'm a Data Strategist. Which means I used behavioural data (psychological mindsets, consumption patterns, transactions, digital footprints) to define marketing and advertising strategies. Basically, I work out which buttons to press so you buy something or join something or do something: how, where and why. But also to make your journey and interactions with a brand as easy as possible. I work with some very big global brands to do this.

The main part of my job is convincing people that my mad ideas are workable and credible  ;D

I've always been slightly ashamed of working in advertising. I never chose to, I'm just good at planning things and ended up here.

When we talk about 'essential jobs' in these troubled times, this is probably one of the least essential ones.

But my job will probably go soon anyway. It's precarious at the best of times.

TPB

I work for the U.S Coast Guard was active duty for 23 years search and rescue and anti-narcotics in South America Now I still work for them as a civilian 17 years I am blessed by being able to work for them at my house and only had to go into New Orleans once a week which I do not do anymore I stay hidden out at the farm
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Ferryman

I'm retired!!!! And therefore have been socially isolated for about 18 months.

Stop wasting time on the computer and get back to work you suckers!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mike_S

I am a freelance graphic designer working from home. I worked and lived a long time in London but came back to Ireland about 10 years ago and decided to try to go it alone with mixed results... I have always managed to pay the bills, but it's always been 1 step forward and 1 step back. But all the same I like what I do...

I never played music as a job, in fact it's only ever been a home hobby for me apart from when I was around 18 or 19 when I played a handful of gigs in local bands as a drummer!
recorder
iPad GarageBand

drumbum

Been self Employed for about 23 yrs. Commercial Building Maintenance / Management . I must say I am nothing but thankful and fortunate. Always just worked hard no matter what, and the wheel comes around ..as my Dad use to say.  The times now are a strain on me,(and everyone)  but working from home is a nice change from the office and the field. Home schooling my son, and playing Music. Next week or so I have to be out in the field and I am very concerned, but must be as smart as I can and try to survive. Always a helper of people, but how do you in this one?  Pray..

Family and music keep me going and when it gets tougher..more family and more music..    #)
If you swim against the tide long enough, it turns and becomes momentum.........

Redler

I'm a power plant operator and have been on winter holidays for two weeks, going back to work on Saturday. The power plant is a part of the big "industrial park", it's products are copper and nickel. I'm operating with different type of steam boilers, district heating plant etc. and I'm working on shifts. There's two operator / shift. Now, almost everyone on the day shift are working from home because of Corona virus. The control room is now isolated and disinfected and we hope that the virus wouldn't strike to our plant. On the worst case, if we (operators) get sick (corona), everything stops there, production of copper and nickel... The people in the town can't get heat or hot water.

Here's my "office".

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

maxit

I'm an IT project manager, so I'm allowed to waste time at the PC ... LoL Ferryman you discovered it ...
(uh redler when all this ends I'll come to your 'office' to press some buttons if you let me ;-)
recorder
Audacity

Farrell Jackson

I've been self employed for 25 years. Before that I was a Maintenance Dept Mgr. for Procter and Gamble for 20 years, when I retired the first time. After that, I started a Residential Property Management Company in 1995. Along the way I acquired enough residential rental properties which allowed me to retire the second time, after selling the business. I still manage and maintain half of my own rentals and let a Management Co. handle the other half. ( I'm not off from letting them manage the whole thing). So I guess I'm really semi-retired right now. I've been staying at home for the past two weeks but I know I'll have to venture out to make a repair when a call comes in. When I do I'll follow all the common sense protocols to stay safe.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

alfstone

I...OK, OK, you know it already...

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder