"Gloom Rock"

Started by Blooby, May 24, 2009, 06:09:01 PM

Blooby

Gloom128
Time:
0:00
Volume:

Part of this was used in a rather amusing pastiche located here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/micro-br-b65/apologies-to-oldrottenhead-ii/0/

--------------------------------------

A drummer whom I've never met previously came over earlier today, and we futz around with some blues and some classic rock.  Since it was just the two of us, I was mostly playing rhythm and fills.  I wanted to do at least one thing so that I could play some lead.  Apparently, it proved to be cathartic.

This mp3 was the end part of the last jam we did.  I grabbed a loop pedal and reversed a slow, arpeggiated chord, and we played over that drone.  Then I cranked up the distortion and let nature take its course.   By the way, he is playing an electronic drum set.

I later went back and added the bass and some Kaossilator, and then I tinkered with the production for a while.  I paid some extra attention to some compression and ended up with this rather dense offering.

Those of you who have heard my other posts in both the Micro-BR and BR-1600 forums know that this is not the norm for me, but it was so odd, I just couldn't resist.  I think we invented something called "Gloom Rock."  You know, because today I feel all gloomy and doomy.

I'm going to take a shower now to scrub some of this off of me.

Peace.

Blooby.

Bosko Schwartz

Wow, I didn't know you went both ways, so to speak.  You are a very diverse geetar player, Blooby!  Nice sound on the electronic drum kit.  What kind of kit is this?  Is that more Kaossilator I hear?
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Blooby

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on May 26, 2009, 11:24:48 AMWow, I didn't know you went both ways, so to speak.  You are a very diverse geetar player, Blooby!  Nice sound on the electronic drum kit.  What kind of kit is this?  Is that more Kaossilator I hear?

Thank you for your kind words.

The drum set is a Yamaha DTExpress IV http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumproductdetail.html?CNTID=546747&CTID=.  Ironically, I don't play (but am struggling to learn.  Think Bobby Brady.)  I hemmed and hawed for a year before getting it in order to facilitate live jams (at controllable volumes) at my house.  Ultimately, G.A.S. as well as a complete lack of any sense of monetary responsibilty swayed me.

Yes, that's a bit more of some (superfluous) Kaossilator.  I added it along with the bass after the live jam.

I always admire folks like yourself and Greeny who construct such great tunes.  I think I might have some in me...perhaps (except for the singing), but I find myself jamming covers with others these days whenever I can scrape together any free time.  The posts on this site keep me inspired, though.

Peace. 

Blooby

Bosko Schwartz

I know you usually do covers, but this one's an original, isn't it?

Blooby

This one was an improvisation with a drummer.  I went back after the fact and added the bass and needless Kaossilator, one pass with everything.  I did spend a bit of time experimenting with the production, however.  I wanted to go big and dense.

When I get together with friends to play, we do covers with lots of transitions and jamming.  My other posts (in the Micro BR forum) tend to be more experimental.  You've got me thinking, and I don't think I have ever recorded a cover on my own except for a Doyle Bramhall Senior version of "I Can See Clearly Now," which nobody will ever hear.  I have considered destroying it because I don't even want people to find it after I am dust. 

Lately, I'm enjoying the happy accidents of improvisation.  Add to that, a "disciplineless" soul and no time, and you can muster why I tend to steer away from carefully crafted tunes.  You and Greeny (among many others) continue to inspire me, though.  I think I've only posted one recognizable cover ("Dreams" by Buddy Miles) on this site.  I have posted some of the jams from other songs, though (an outro of "Badge" by Clapton and an intro leading to the beginning of "Roadhouse Blues."). 

As always...Peace.

Blooby

Bosko Schwartz

I didn't mean to imply you did only covers, so I hope you didn't take offense.  I didn't know you had a Micro BR as well as the BR-1600, so I hadn't seen any of your Micro posts and was only referring to the jams of "Badge," "Dreams," and "Roadhouse Blues" that I'd heard, all of which I dig and have commented on.

We're dealing with semantics here, but I would consider a fully improvised jam session, such as this "Gloom Metal" piece, an original song, and perhaps the greatest type of original song there is.  There's nothing like free-flowing improvisational music that is being "written" just as it is being played.  It's a beautiful thing, and you have the knack!  It's the exact opposite of my meticulous and tedious work, in which every single note is planned out.  I wish I had some of your improv skills, not to mention guitar skills!

Bro

You called it dommy, and you sure was right!

I'm not that much of a metal guy, but this was a great deal of fun listening to again !

Amazing!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Satchwood

Another very cool jam Blooby - I enjoyed your guitar playing - nice n heavy!!

I love these improv jams of yours - takes me back to my band days...
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Blooby

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on May 27, 2009, 07:09:40 AMI didn't mean to imply you did only covers, so I hope you didn't take offense. 

Goodness, no.  Sorry if I came off that way. 

Again, thank you, all, for your kind words.  This post was certainly not the norm for me, but I admit to smiling during playback.  Now I do believe it needs the grunting of pigs.

Blooby

Geir

A jam can be pretty boring to anyone who was not a part of it.

This one not so !!! You've made it into a composition that makes an interesting listen !!!! Great guitarwork too !!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........