Germ Free Adolescent - Somehow topical X-Ray Spexcover

Started by ODH, March 14, 2020, 02:32:20 PM

ODH

04 Germ Free
Time:
0:00
Volume:
In these times, something in this song resonates.

There's a number of ukulele tracks, including one with GarageBand FX applied, as well as bass and drums.  There's a guide vocal track on organ (which I left in) and some wobbly vocals. Oh and a sax, courtesy of ThumbJam.

It's a cover of the '77 / '78 X-Ray Spex seminal UK punk song, with the late, great Poly Styrene.

Stay safe everyone

:)
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Jean Pierre

Me, I like the "sound" of Mister ODH and I regret not having the possibility to use thumJam, there are some nice sounds in there.

Stay safe everyone
as I'm confined to my home studio, my next song will be a blues.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Hilary

I love this song and how very appropriate.

The arrangement on this is so lovely and you sound very authentic.

Off now to listen to the original.

Thanks Nick!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Ferryman

A truly wonderful version Nick, it has all the poignancy of the original with a lovely twist in the way you've done it. Always loved this band (saw them back in the day) and this song, as you say very appropriate for the times we are living through.

Lovely stuff, do keep them coming.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

Yes!! I don't know the original, but this is really lovely !!

Love the ukes and the whole soundscape !! just wonderful
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Don't know the original, a lot of music from that era passed me by. I did however enjoy this and found the lyrics apt, excellent musicianship as always.     Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Flash Harry

Incredible - a million miles away from the punk guitars, bass lines and snarling vocals, but so true to the original, instantly recognisable.

I see Hillary has posted the link to the BBC Arena program on Poly Styrene, I remember it being transmitted. My parents were horrified, I was secretly in love.

This is a fab cover Nick. Spot on. 
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

Uketastic, love it! it's like Brian Eno and Robert Wyatt having a party, awesome.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on March 18, 2020, 07:34:42 PMUketastic, love it! it's like Brian Eno and Robert Wyatt having a party, awesome.

Perfectly summed up!

This is excellent Nick. An excellent song given a fresh twist, and the bass sounds stellar on these headphones. So well done.

danthecoat

Wow thats a blast from the past and by no means an easy cover to do but you have pulled it off.

SUPERB !!

Polystyrene (R.i.P) :(