I am giving up guitar and bass

Started by Ferryman, March 14, 2020, 04:45:03 AM

Geir

Got me worried too. But I'm glad to see you adapt to your situation and will not give in.

I fear I too will have to make some hard choices soon as arthritis is creeping up on me too (can't play barred chords for any period of time anymore). I guess I'll use the first acoustic guitar I bought from my uncle some 40 years ago only on a good day (it's a 12 string). I also find myself playing keyboard more than guitar these days and that's a bummer as my keyboard skills are really mediocre compared to my guitar skills. Maybe I'll end up just rambling into a mike, but I hope I don't stop making music.

Rambling mode off.

Let's make some music!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Quote from: Ferryman on March 15, 2020, 03:48:41 AMAlso, the issue is more listening to the live sound while recording, so until my pedalboard and/or the BR800 become bluetooth compatible, I'm stuck with this issue. I should add, I don't have an amp, so all my playing and recording is done direct.
I could be wrong but the impression I got about streaming to hearing aids is that you connect the output of your audio device (BR800 or pedalboard in your case) to your phone with a cable. Then the phone sends the audio to your hearing aids over bluetooth. So the only things that need to be bluetooth compatible are your phone and your hearing aids. I'm not sure how you get audio into your phone but there must be phone accessories available for that. Maybe it's as simple as an adapter cable, or maybe you'd have to get an audio interface.

Quote from: Ferryman on March 15, 2020, 03:48:41 AMSadly my hearing aids don't support streaming to Android, only iPhone (I am an Apple refusenik).
That's a more difficult problem. I guess the only options are to get new hearing aids or buy an iPhone. I wonder if you could get an older used iPhone cheap and just use it as a dedicated streaming device so you wouldn't have to give up Android for all your other phone uses. What versions of iPhone and iOS are supported by your hearing aids? Maybe someone here has an old iPhone they no longer use that they'd be willing to let you have.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ferryman

Quote from: 64Guitars on March 15, 2020, 08:06:20 AMThat's a more difficult problem. I guess the only options are to get new hearing aids or buy an iPhone. I wonder if you could get an older used iPhone cheap and just use it as a dedicated streaming device so you wouldn't have to give up Android for all your other phone uses. What versions of iPhone and iOS are supported by your hearing aids? Maybe someone here has an old iPhone they no longer use that they'd be willing to let you have.
Sadly new hearing aids are out of the question. These are only about 1 year old and cost close to $5,000. The two generations of hearing aid that came slightly after mine both support Android, maybe mine will soon. My phone doesn't have any form of aux in so I can't see how I would connect the BR-800 to the phone.

Using Apple products is a non-starter for me, I have always despised their proprietary business model since the days of iTunes.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Whew- I read this and panicked, but what a challenge.

I'm looking forward to hearing the results!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

SE

Well done you, your one of the most creative and innovative producer's and songwriters that we have on this place, so to carry on and overcome the issue's that you have is excellent, keep it coming,

John
recorder
Boss BR-80

Pine

"One issue I have found (as well as old age) is that if I have too much gear I get stuck with "analysis paralysis""
...man oh man can i relate to this! I have so many instruments, i feel guilty. When i go into my studio, i can't decide what i wanna use, and so i use nothing. Is that lame or what. Only sold one so far but i think i'd be more productive (maybe.. or perhaps that's just wishful thinking) if i had one acoustic and one electric. Not selling it all off just yet tho...
The hearing issue is huge for me as well. And the Tinnitus.  Mixing is ever more challenging. Good suggestion from 64. Might look into that. I get mine from the VA. (Veterans Admin.)o
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Ferryman

Thanks for the support John, much appreciated.

Quote from: Pine on March 16, 2020, 08:59:19 AM"One issue I have found (as well as old age) is that if I have too much gear I get stuck with "analysis paralysis""
...man oh man can i relate to this! I have so many instruments, i feel guilty. When i go into my studio, i can't decide what i wanna use, and so i use nothing. Is that lame or what.
This was a big existential question for me. I retired 18 months ago and one of the big plans was to spend more time on music. I had so many plans about what I was going to do, and I had been building up gear while I was still earning. When I retired, I realised I won't have as much time as I thought and that I can't really do all the stuff I would have done 10 years ago (when I was more prolific).

Coming to that conclusion and going down to one guitar and a limited number of pedals is going to make it easier to do stuff and also avoid the analysis paralysis. I've sold/traded a lot of stuff, given some to Songcrafters friends and the large stuff that I can't post and that isn't worth much I am donating to a very worthy music charity.

It is really cathartic to clear all that stuff out. I'd highly recommend it.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Quote from: Ferryman on March 17, 2020, 06:29:29 AMIt is really cathartic to clear all that stuff out. I'd highly recommend it.

If it doesn't 'Spark Joy..'

You know I have a Chapman Stick that I hardly ever touch -  when I do it's because I've psyched myself up for it. It leads to frustration and disappointment..
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Quote from: Flash Harry on March 17, 2020, 12:47:26 PMIf it doesn't 'Spark Joy..'
Too true. After I traded the Tele, I was down to three guitars but only the Bass VI "sparked joy". It was the one I always picked up first to just noodle on, the others were there "in case" I ever got round to those grand projects that I now know I can't do. So they have gone.

Quote from: Flash Harry on March 17, 2020, 12:47:26 PMYou know I have a Chapman Stick that I hardly ever touch -  when I do it's because I've psyched myself up for it. It leads to frustration and disappointment..
Ah yes, the thing you need a degree in astrophysics to be able to play! You can only pretend you are Tony Levin for so long.......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Quote from: Ferryman on March 18, 2020, 05:31:31 AMAh yes, the thing you need a degree in astrophysics to be able to play! You can only pretend you are Tony Levin for so long.......

Harsh

But true...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcbSjC9tAY8
- Kurt Vonnegut.