Be careful, be ready!

Started by alfstone, March 09, 2020, 10:49:30 AM

alfstone

Quote from: Mike_S on March 19, 2020, 05:40:53 AMAlfredo, your advice on other countries to lock down as soon as possible seems spot on. Ireland has implemented pretty serious measures so let's see how we get on. I guess the next challenge for people will be how long they can keep self isolating before they become complacent, as it looks like these measures will be needed for a long time with no vaccine available for a very long time.

Yes, Mike, I'm glad for this: we've been showing the way (the same as in China, but in a democracy it's not possible to act as Chinese authorities); it's the only thing we all can do.  Now, the main problem actually here in Lombardy  is that for those who need ICU and ventilation, they must be there for an average 2 weeks. A huge amount of time, because the ICU units and ventilators are all full actually in Lombardy. So, there's just nowhere to go, no more places in ICU units. People begin to die for asphyxia at home without any possible help. A tragedy I had foreseen, unfortunately. Too many dead. In some cities as Bergamo, there are 4 times deaths more than the usual amount for other years. No places in cemeteries. And I remember you that Lombardy is by far the richest Region of Italy, with the best Health Service.

To be clear, more time it's going on, more we begin to understand. In long time terms, it's extremely likely that in the next months/years WE ALL will be in touch with Covid-19. The lockdown is fundamental to hope to have a wave, and not the actual tsunami we are seeing here. And when each one of us willl have to meet Covid-19, just hope to be part of the 80% with mild symptoms.

God bless you all.
Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Boognish

Exactly, Mike.
Wife works at hospital again today...
there are now
29 confirmed cases in Oklahoma,
5 confirmed in Norman, where I live,
1 death in Oklahoma.

And restaurants were only made to close and do take out orders only just as of TODAY.

I can only assume we are both carriers or will be soon.
I've been saying for a week now we should have quarantines already
Okay to cover.

drumbum

Being self employed and rely on thriving businesses to support my family and livelihood, the economic tsunami that is developing, of course second to health is very concerning. This thing here in the North East of the U.S. is knocking on my door. Afraid to go to do what I have trained myself to do.

I read these posts and consider myself fortunate by comparison . However we are all in the same boat in one form or another.

Be well, be safe ...there is alot of love and encouragement on this site..!  Very nice to have this place to log into..

Strength to all.!!!    !@010
If you swim against the tide long enough, it turns and becomes momentum.........

dasilvasings

Just passing by to wish you all the best.
Stay safe!

Thank you Alfredo for your poignant report.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Let me also say again that we are all thinking of you, and thank you for sharing your experiences. I have been passing your information on to everyone I know to get them to take this seriously and to implement social distancing. All the very best to you and your family.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Boognish

Was back in it today.
Out of 6 grocery stores i was in,
There was just one where employees had gloves on.
the grocery stores are only thing open and people aren't staying in their homes.
It's a breeding ground for this stuff and we're already too late.

So I told every store manager to call their local city council, police,, etc to help with crowd control and when I did it hit home with them. 2 mangers teared up but I was a bit unapologetic.

"Sorry to upset you, but this is no joke!!!"

Be safe
Okay to cover.

Boognish

Curious what you all in other parts of the world think...

I have heard several people say they had a very nasty flu bug in Jan/Feb.
One friend works at the University of Oklahoma here in Norman, another is a student at a private university in neighboring Arkansas. My mother-in-law has similar claims.
In one case, She went to hospital, had tests run, nothing was determined and she recovered without hospitalization so the case was dropped. She even required an inhaler. The others had flu-like symptoms for a couple days and say it was the worst flu they've had.

These seem like red flags to me from February that went unnoticed. The USA has been way behind in testing and these type of cases were right under our noses. These are just three in my tiny circle of friends, I'm sure there's lots more.
 Makes sense that universities would see cases early. College students would most likely not require any medical attention and think it was a common flu.

Anyone seeing this type of thing elsewhere?

Okay to cover.

alfstone

Quote from: Boognish on March 22, 2020, 12:41:31 PMAnyone seeing this type of thing elsewhere?

In the last months we all GPs, here, have noticed that many patients, who had flu vaccine before, had anyway something that looked like a flu, so we all thought that in some cases the vaccine hadn't worked well. I too had something similar as a flu for a couple of days at the beginning of february, but it lasted only some days, and I had flu vaccine, of course... In some other cases I have noticed very heavy flu in some patients, with a strange, long cough lasting for weeks...Some colleagues noticed higher rates of pneumonia, BUT ANYWAY...yes, it's quite unlikely that this beast was here since some time before, since we know NOW that:

- it spreads very, very, VERY fast and easily
- in 10% it acts as a very serious situation, AND
- in ICU units in December-January-february there wasn't the actual disaster
- there is no evidence of a genetic variation of the Covid-19

Ciao
Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

chapperz66

I don't like to show off, but I felt I should share with you the fact that I have received my text from the NHS that I have been identified as being at risk of serious illness re vcovid and should stay indoors. 
I feel quite special....????

Ferryman

Quote from: chapperz66 on March 23, 2020, 08:28:45 AMI don't like to show off, but I felt I should share with you the fact that I have received my text from the NHS that I have been identified as being at risk of serious illness re vcovid and should stay indoors. 
I feel quite special....????
We always knew you were "special" Paul........ ;)

Stay well, and get recording  :)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR