MBR MP3 Card Read Error - What is the secret?

Started by Ted, January 20, 2020, 11:20:22 PM

Ted

I frequently get "Card Read Error!" when playing MP3s on my MBR.

Is there a known solution for this already?

I don't believe this is really a problem with any corruption on the card itself. This never happens when playing MP3s produced by the MBR itself, only when playing MP3s created/acquired elsewhere and imported into the MBR (in the MP3 folder).

I am able to import erroring MP3s into song tracks with no problems. And if I export the tracks to new MP3s, they play without errors. (This is my very slow workaround for the moment.)

This doesn't happen with every externally created MP3, but it happens often enough that it's a pain in the ass.

I've been experimenting to discover what might be the secret way of coding an MP3, but I haven't come up with a solution. (For example, I thought it might be a problem with embedded cover art. This doesn't seem to be the issue.)

Thanks for any help.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Flash Harry

It's usually corruption on the card.

I'd suggest you copy all the data from it using a card reader and then format the card. Do a full format or use the MBR to format.

There may be hard errors on the cardwjich means a new card unfortunately.

These 1Gb cards are hard to get hold of these days. I've heard that you can use larger capacity cards, but the MBR will only address 1Gb.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ted

Quote from: Flash Harry on January 21, 2020, 07:56:48 AMIt's usually corruption on the card.

I'm pretty sure this is not the case. Like I said, this never happens when playing MP3s or WAVs produced by the MBR itself.

I have a have small collection of 1 GB cards, and I have reformatted them all. I get the error on all of these cards – some more than others.

Quote from: Flash Harry on January 21, 2020, 07:56:48 AMThese 1Gb cards are hard to get hold of these days. I've heard that you can use larger capacity cards, but the MBR will only address 1Gb.

This is true. I have a 2 GB card in my library that I use with the MBR, and I think I have used larger cards too.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

Quote from: Ted on January 21, 2020, 10:17:44 AMI have a have small collection of 1 GB cards, and I have reformatted them all. I get the error on all of these cards – some more than others.

Since it's happening with multiple cards, that suggests the problem may be with the card slot. Perhaps a bit of dust or something is impeding the connection between the card contacts and the card slot. Maybe try blowing into the slot to dislodge any foreign matter.

Quote from: Ted on January 20, 2020, 11:20:22 PMI don't believe this is really a problem with any corruption on the card itself. This never happens when playing MP3s produced by the MBR itself, only when playing MP3s created/acquired elsewhere and imported into the MBR (in the MP3 folder).

I think that's just coincidence. I believe Card Read Error occurs when the BR can't read the data in a particular block on the memory card. The type of data that's stored in that block is irrelevant. In other words, it's a physical error, not a data error.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ted

Quote from: 64Guitars on January 21, 2020, 11:35:07 AM
Quote from: Ted on January 20, 2020, 11:20:22 PMI don't believe this is really a problem with any corruption on the card itself. This never happens when playing MP3s produced by the MBR itself, only when playing MP3s created/acquired elsewhere and imported into the MBR (in the MP3 folder).

I think that's just coincidence. I believe Card Read Error occurs when the BR can't read the data in a particular block on the memory card. The type of data that's stored in that block is irrelevant. In other words, it's a physical error, not a data error.

I can try an experiment with a brand-new 8GB micro SD card and an adaptor. I'll also look for some compressed air. (I'm not sure where to find compressed air in Madagascar, but I have a guess that's nearby, and a backup guess that's a bit farther away.)

Here's another symptom: If it's a song that errors, the errors occur in the last 15-20 seconds of a song – but only if I start the song from the beginning (e.g. a 3-minute song will error at 2:45). But if I rewind the song a bit before the point where the error occurred (e.g. to 2:15), the song will play all the way to the end without an error. Does that still sound like a data error?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac