Latest project finally finished!

Started by StevieM, May 23, 2009, 01:10:56 PM

StevieM

It's finished at last, my latest guitar. Had a couple of problems, but solved now.
It's Iroko and Ash body, Maple neck, 2 way truss rod, Rosewood fingerboard. 2 x single and 1 humbucker ( not tapped) pickups, 3 switches instead of 5 way switch. Pickup surrounds are Cow horn, with Rams horn inset in headstock and end of whammybar.  Fret markers are MOP diamonds that I cut myself.
That's about it really, I think.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

StevieM

Only 1 pic came through, here's some more.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

StevieM

StevieM

Blooby

It's gorgeous.  Love the natural woods.  I am blown away. 

The headstock reminds me of an old Aria a buddy had, and the body looks like the offspring of a Fender, Alembic, and an Ibanez Voyager (apparently, the child was the spawn of some unspeakable orgy), yet it is very original looking.

Could you tell us a bit about the electronics?  How long did it take you to build?

Fantastic.

Blooby

StevieM

Thanks ;D
Yep, probably all those in there somewhere, think I missed the orgy though, bugger it!!
I tried to do something a little bit different, but staying 'traditional' without going too far out.
Time? Too bloody long. My fault though, made a couple of silly mistakes that needed 're-designing' along the way. Didn't make a note of the actual time spent on it, but if I was only working on that and nothing else, probably around a couple of weeks or so, but actually about 2 months. Still, the next one will be a lot quicker, already got the bits and made a start. It's a Spalted Maple one. That's going to be Humbuck/single/humbuck, with taps on the HB's, and probably a normal 5 way switch.
The 'lectrics are fairly simple, just 2 Strat type singles and an Alnico Humbuck, straight wired (no phasing/coil tapping or anything) into 3 x 2way switches instead of a 5 way. I can have any combo pickups on or off. There's 1 Vol and  2 Tone pots. I used the wiring diagram from Seymour Duncan, just using the HB instead of a bridge single.
That's 'bout it really.
Oh yeah, forgot to say, it's got a bone nut and roller string retainers.

Blooby

Quote from: StevieM on May 23, 2009, 02:33:58 PMI used the wiring diagram from Seymour Duncan, just using the HB instead of a bridge single.

Meaning you are winding your own?!?

StevieM

Nope, bought ready made. If I was doing my own probably still be doing it 3 years next tuesday, and with REALLY aching hands ;D Just used the way they link 'em all up.

Bro

Thats fantastic! I have dreamed about doing my own guitar for a long time now! But it just seems so bloody hard! What did it cost in total? I'm completely amazed! I wish i could build a guitar like that from the bottom!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

StevieM

Not really hard ( for me anyway,'cos I work with wood all the time), but almost anyone could do it. If you can use a few tools and follow fairly simple(ish) stuff from books, you could too.
The REALLY REALLY hard bit is making 'em sound like all you guys do on here. That's something I wish I could do.