MPX1?

Started by StevieM, May 23, 2009, 05:20:45 AM

StevieM

Anyone got, or come across an LA Audio MPX1 mic processor? I know someone who's got one they don't want and wondering if it'd be useful. Is it only for mics or can you put guitars through it too, either to a guitar amp or the MBR?
Also any idea what it's worth money wise? The guy that's got it actually works with computers and this came in a load he picked up, so I was wondering what I could get away with offering him ;)
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Blooby

I found one sold for $80.00 (US) on Ebay

From Harmony Central:

Simple mono "channel strip", quite similar to the Focusrite Voicemaster and Trakmaster: a preamp, compressor and four band parametric EQ in one rackspace unit. Other features are an expander (noice reduction) and a simple, but usable, de-esser (apperas as a button on the compressor section). The preamp has everything you'll ever need on a preamp. In other words phantom power, phaseshift and high-pass filter (75Hz). The preamp is followed by a "one-knob" expander - a variable threshold. It works with certain signals but tends to be a bit too rough. The compressor has the ordinary set-up and sounds fairly good, but lacks variable attack/release knobs and instead uses two-way switches for toggling between short and long times. The EQ is great - a four band parametric with a fixed low shelving, fully parametric low-mid and high-mid bands and a high shelving band with an additional low-pass switch (12KHz). The only drawback is the low-mid and high-mid Q-knobs. They are to small, cramped between the frequency and gain knobs. At the end there is a output stage with a gain knob. One of the best things about the MPX1 is the amount of jacks. There are in and outs for every stage in the unit witch makes one able to re-route the signals path through it (i.e. like putting the compressor before the EQ for example), or using the sections as dedicated, stand alone units. Great for the home studio.

I mainly use this for vocals and DI-box. The preamp doesn't sound as good as my Focusrite Green preamp and the compressor doesn't have the character of my JoeMeek C2 but both stages are good. The preamp is "transparent" and works on everything from vocals to miked acoustic guitar to lined analog synths. The noise levels are fairly low. The compressor is very smooth and produces little (undesired) artifacts and the parametric EQ is, in my opinion, a killer.

In the whole: a simple an very flexible channel-strip with a good preamp and compressor and a great parametric EQ. I use it in a home/project and record mostly acoustic guitar, brass, accordion, vocals, synths and percussion. As a guitar/bass DI-box it really shines, and where I need to brighten up a dull synth sound or give vocals more "air" I use the MPX1.

StevieM

Hey Blooby, are you national sales manager or something for them? :D
Thanks for that, couldn't have asked for more. Think I might go for it if it's the right price.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!