"block it out" by osckilo with vox by orh "stream of thought"

Started by Oldrottenhead, May 22, 2009, 07:49:35 AM

Oldrottenhead

stream of thought take 2
Time:
0:00
Volume:
the osckilo guys posted this one the other day and asked for a lyric how could i resist. i did a very quick version using my stream of thought method as had very little time before going to work, so got back this morning and tidied it up a bit.

in osckilo's original post they where talking about the incredible amount of sounds and experiences our poor wee brains are bombarded with and blocking things out, well this version has probably the opposite idea to that, in that you should try and cram as much stuff into your poor wee brain as possible.......... but in an endeavour to write songs.

so this is an attempt at trying to explain the stream of thought method i use to come up with lyrics and vocals. which is basically suck up as many experiences and things happening around me to me to others etc ad nauseum, then when i have a nice bit of music to listen to and put a lyric over, the music can go in my ears onto my brain where the sounds can mess with whatever the hell is in there and when i open my mouth stuff just comes out, with little or no thought process involved, generally what comes out is a precis or distillation of whats been going on in my life, what ive been reading, watching on tv etc etc.
so here is block it out   now renamed stream of thought.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Glenn Mitchell

I'm continuously impressed with your talent for words OHR. A very creative guy.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Oldrottenhead

cheers M_Glen_m you are a pretty good wordsmith yourself. re my "talent" that talent or whatever you want to call it only happens when there is a good tune going in my ears,

i see talent as guys like yourself, greeny, geir ,the osckilo guys , hooper, indierik, ferryman, bluesberry ,blooby. farmjazz(if i have missed anyone pm me and i'll edit this) who can come up with original music and play so well. my limited musical abilities means it takes me about two months to come up with one tune and thats usually a duffer lol. but thanks good sir for your praise.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

I think it is good stuff.  I like the lyrics.  You don't give away all your secrets, A guy couldn't listen to this and straight away start to do the same thing, the stream of conciousness ORH lyrics type of thing.  There is a bit of mystery still left.  In the end you conclude that it is all a mystery, that is cool.  I think that the vocal is a bit lost in the midst of all the swirling music, I would like to hear some harmonies kind of stuff, especially in the "don't try to block it out" part, just my opinion. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI think that the vocal is a bit lost in the midst of all the swirling music, I would like to hear some harmonies kind of stuff, especially in the "don't try to block it out" part, just my opinion.
thats a lack of confidence thing on my part bury the vox in the mix, i am toying with adding a backing vox, just not enough hours in the day  but might try later.
QuoteA guy couldn't listen to this and straight away start to do the same thing, the stream of conciousness ORH lyrics type of thing.
i don't know about that, but saying that i have been using that technique for a while so i suppose a bit of practice helps. and it doesnt always or all come out in one go, sometimes there is a whole load of gobbledygook in there but thats where editing comes in. i suppose its a bit like brainstorming you only keep the good ideas the special 1%. but saying that in the last couple of days i have done a couple of songs in one go. but not after one listen i listen a few times for ideas to form then hit record and see wot happens sometimes it's gold sometimes it shit. the beautiful mistakes are my faves tho.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

It is really incredible to me to hear how you work ORH.  I will work on the lyrics for a song for at least a week, and I keep going back, singing it through, changing stuff, working on it.  What is facinating about your method is how it comes out so good, good structure, good rhymes, good flow, good poetery.  I need to massage the raw material quite a bit I find, but it seems to come out practically finished with you, its very interesting.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

i cant explain any more than that, maybe if i did know the whole ins and outs of what actually happens i wouldn't be able to do it.

apparently that is how michael jackson writes his lyrics, he reckons when he does it he's speaking to god.

me i think its just a combination of whats happening around me, how much caffeine, nicotein or alcohol is in my system and therefore causing chemical and enzyme reactions imbalances and the music affects my brain waves haha simple really.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

Stuck you on the soundclick Jim.....!

The blueprint to your brainwaves!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7624658
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

AndyR

Like it orh :)

I don't often listen closely to lyrics early on when listening to a new song... but seeing as the thread talked about them a lot, I did.

I use stream-of-consciousness to get me going on lyrics, but then the left-hand-side of the brain kicks in and I'm like Bluesberry, sometimes I'll worry about a single word for weeks (or even years it seems nowadays!).

I think it's great how different ways work for different people, and then how you can borrow someone else's method for a bit and suddenly find new horizons opening up.

And the track itself from the osckilo guys - not the sort of stuff I usually go for, but the sound kinda sucked me in ;D. This one led me off to the osckilo soundclick page and I'm checking them all out - I like the vibe you guys produce.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1