Cut Your Own Records on Vinyl?

Started by cuthbert, October 12, 2019, 11:25:00 AM

cuthbert

https://www.wired.com/story/phonocut/

Interesting...not inexpensive, but interesting. Looks like they are pitching it more to the music mixing crowd than home recordists, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for folks like us, if so inclined.

According to their FAQ, their blank discs are proprietary but fairly inexpensive. It's not clear whether you have much control over the audio signal in their app once you plug in your music, but then again simplicity could be a virtue in this case.

https://phonocut.com/#
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Hook

Saw this the other day and I'm so excited. Can't wait to have my catalogue on vinyl!!!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

kenny mac

Surely at a time when we are talking about saving the planet from plastics and throw away items etc that music  online is a better option.

Hook

Well at a current 768 songs in my jukebox, I might indeed hurt the environment a little, and my ability to pay my mortgage due to a new vice...but I'm cool with that if I can have my own personal songs on vinyl.
I dont have any notion of selling them but vinyl is so my choice of media. I love eveything, the sound, size, mechanism, cover art, 2 distinct sides. I am loving used record stores and the gems I find. Picked up a 1st press of CSNYs Deja Vu for $5 the other day, black cover not brown. Its such a great listen only emphasided by the light crackle. Oh how I enjoy my record collection.
To have my own songs on vinyl has always been a fantasy of mine... So bring it on!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

That is a revolutionary idea and product! I didn't see anything about printing labels for it? I'm not sure I would buy one but vinyl is appealing to many listeners...including me. Thanks for posting this up Cuthbert.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Redler

Very interesting, but far too expensive - I understand it; the development and manufacturing costs money...maybe this will become cheaper in the future...

A few things puts me hesitate; 7" and 10" is available, but not 12". I need LP size ;D . The final result is still only a record, neither labels or album sleeves, so I can't purchase it for commercial purposes. Who wants 10" record without covers, especially the blank costs 10 €.  Stulys is durable for about 100 cuttings, then it must be replaced, propably it is expensive.

But, I take my hat off to these guys and hope this would success - then it will be cheaper propably...

Thanks for sharing.

edit:typo

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR