Scratch Tracks: Real Drummer vs. Drum Machine

Started by Ted, September 06, 2019, 12:12:08 PM

Ted

If I am going to record a song in a studio, is there any benefit to recording scratch tracks with a real drummer versus using the original demo with a drum machine as scratch tracks?

As long as the song structure is the same, does it make a big difference? Or do you get a much better real band sound when the scratch reference includes a live drummer, rather than a drum machine?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Hook

If your syncopation is determined by the rhythm section and that feel is that important to you (& song) than you might want the real drummer over a click. But it doesnt have to be a scratch track. If your goal is to record a real drummer for your finished song you should nock that out first and consider everything else scratch tracks...unless of course if there good takes.
Once you have the final drum track your structure and implied syncopation is set. You just build the song up around that.
I know when I'm playing my drum part after having established rhythm tracks  it can sometimes sound like the drums are following the song rather than lead it because I'm deepeding on the rhythm track instead of determing the rhythm.
For me, so long ago when I recorded n "a studio" I couldnt afford to consider scratch tracks. Every track had to count and I still always ran out of $$$ before project was really finished.
Good luck brother.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Ted

Thanks. What we have decided to do is that I will create the scratch tracks using my home recording gear -- but with a click track instead of drums. That way we don't spend money in the studio recording scratch tracks, and our drummer can record first.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder