A BR800 ??

Started by Hook, August 31, 2019, 06:22:07 AM

Hook

So romidon just bought a Br800 and we are getting together tonight to record something and hopefully get hime started and comfortable with the machine.
I watched Geir use and I downloaded the manual. My main question now is how do you assign an input to a track. I see how to arm them but I didnt see anything about assigning the inputs to the tracks.
Any help would ve appreciated.
Thanks

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Oldrottenhead

It's pretty straightforward, hit enter select input and scroll through the various options. I tend to record one instrument at a time, but there are options for multiple inputs. Don't have br800 at hand but am sure it's pretty straightforward.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hook

I'm expecting it to be very intuitive. Ive used lots of different boss machines and I usually can find my way around quickly. It does have phantom power for condenser mics?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on August 31, 2019, 06:22:07 AMMy main question now is how do you assign an input to a track. I see how to arm them but I didnt see anything about assigning the inputs to the tracks.

Press the MENU button, then move the cursor to INPUT if it isn't already there. Use the dial control to change the value.

See page 37 of the manual: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BR-800_e05_W.pdf#G9.1069664

The MODE setting (directly below INPUT) and the track REC buttons determine which tracks the inputs will be recorded on. See MODE (step 4 on page 37) in the link above as well as "Selecting the Track(s) for Recording" (page 38) here:

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BR-800_e05_W.pdf#G9.1069692

Quote from: Hook on August 31, 2019, 11:06:36 AMIt does have phantom power for condenser mics?

Only on Input 4.

See page 144: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BR-800_e05_W.pdf#G15.1079109.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 31, 2019, 01:43:31 PM
Quote from: Hook link=topic=28965.msg345068#msg345068 date=1567254127
It does have phantom power for condenser mics?
/quote]

Only on Input 4.

See page 144: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/BR-800_e05_W.pdf#G15.1079109.

Hmmmm. Only on 4, that seems strange and a little silly.
Thank you though!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Romidon

Quote from: Hook on August 31, 2019, 06:22:07 AMSo romidon just bought a Br800 and we are getting together tonight to record something and hopefully get him started and comfortable with the machine...

I was able to get together with Hook tonight from around 5:00 until around 7:00.  We met at a downtown park in an area that was built up as an amphitheater and set up our equipment as local teens sat around blowing weed and chilling out.

Hook had obviously done more homework than I had (I picked up the Boss BR800 Thursday morning, and in the interim I tried to read the manual on my breaks at work but without having the machine in front of me, it was all Greek), as he was able to get us recording in about 15 minutes once everything was set up.  (He also said that it was similar in certain ways to the Boss BR80 that he uses alot.)

We worked on a song (that we'll probably post in the coming week) and put down about 6 or 7 tracks with myself playing guitar and singing and Hook adding backing vocals, ukulele, cajon, and a bass line.  I was amazed at how easy the machine was to operate.  PLUS I was excited with how much fun I had collaborating with Hook.  (Although HE did most of the work...)

Unfortunately Hook had other obligations, and we had to put the final touches and mix down on hold until midweek, when we're able to get back together.  (I don't want to risk messing anything up on this collaboration...)

The coming days will determine if I learned any thing from tonight.  I'll try and record something by myself over the holiday.  (Labor Day, in the US.)

I's be sooo excited!!   :D

romidon.