Bought a Harley Benton strat kit

Started by bruno, August 20, 2019, 07:22:32 AM

Mike_S

I am sure you will do a good job, but for 70 quid its gotta be worth it for the experience alone!
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Redler

Congrats for your project! I'm following it...
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

bruno

A picture, so far.

The finish has come out better than I expected, the body was a little rough when I got it.
The fret flattening and dressing went very well - I think having the right tools really helps.
The bit that worried me most was cutting the headstock - but actually that was surprising okay.
Wanted to check the neck alignment, which is good - however the action needs to be at max height, so need to put in a reverse neck shim, I think. Another first for me. But hey, what can go wrong :-) Tuners feel good, and bridge appears to be okay. The whammy bar whams :-) So need to sort out the neck, install the electronics and it might just play...

It was supposed to be a deep orange stain, but it looks more like a red to me - but looks just fine to me. Used Danish oil for the finish - I will polish it when finally together.

The neck plays well, even though its got ridiculously low action, I've added some neck relief - so far, so good. Hopefully will have it up and playing over the next few days, assuming the electronics works.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

bruno

Quote from: Mike_S on August 28, 2019, 07:17:36 AMI am sure you will do a good job, but for 70 quid its gotta be worth it for the experience alone!
I've bought some tools and stain and oil and sandpaper, new sander and router - so spent a little bit more - however the sander and router go into the general DIY bucket - so not included - the rest probably around £100 on top - however the next one would be £70. Having said that, I've got my eye on a Crimson Guitar kit, more expensive and no hardware

https://crimsonguitars.com/product-category/kit-guitars/unfinished-kit-guitars/

.....maybe ......

This is a slippery slope.....
:-)

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

TPB

Looking good can not wait to see the finished product
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Jean Pierre

Bruno made me want to!.......that's it. I ordered a Precision Bass Kit for a ridiculously low price of 88 Euros, delivery included!

https://www.thomann.de/fr/harley_benton_bassguitar_kit_pstyle.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwtajrBRBVEiwA8w2Q8KYo2WbxCLs1HBq35uA-DCXQddLSrME41QiZhQPD9R0k-pWf07

...I keep you informed about the feasibility of a construction by an average handyman

*=) It's the Christmas gift I give myself. ;D
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

cuthbert

Looking good so far, bruno! Also sounds like you're learning a lot about getting it all set up so it plays as you want - that's a valuable skill to have.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

bruno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62bNq1YDA0I

It lives - still some work to do. The bridge is adjusted to the max, so need to make a reverse neck shim - but it plays okay. Am quite happy, learned a lot and it was really fun to put it together.....
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Ferryman

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

bruno

Quote from: my idol is Jahia on August 31, 2019, 08:46:38 AMBruno made me want to!.......that's it. I ordered a Precision Bass Kit for a ridiculously low price of 88 Euros, delivery included!

https://www.thomann.de/fr/harley_benton_bassguitar_kit_pstyle.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwtajrBRBVEiwA8w2Q8KYo2WbxCLs1HBq35uA-DCXQddLSrME41QiZhQPD9R0k-pWf07

...I keep you informed about the feasibility of a construction by an average handyman

*=) It's the Christmas gift I give myself. ;D
Very cool - look forward to seeing the result :-) Have fun, it is lots of fun.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600