strat pickup replacement opinions needed

Started by SdC, May 19, 2009, 04:12:45 PM

SdC

I need to replace the neck and middle pickups on my old squier strat. The  bridge pu is a seymour duncan hot rails which i'd like to keep, but the remaining stock ones are just way too noisy and have much lower signal (but decent tone).
I'm looking for as jazzy a sound as possible.
Any recommendations/advise you could give me?

recorder
Boss BR-600

Blooby

I've been intrigued with putting a Lil '59 in my Strat for jazzy tones (and the occasional screaming lead).  I assume you want the warmth of a humbucker.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/little_59_for_s/

I wish I've had firsthand experience, but I've only heard sound samples second hand.

There's also a mini Pearly Gates as well.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/stratocaster/strat_pearly_ga/

Hopes this helps.

Blooby

SdC

recorder
Boss BR-600

Blooby

I'd be very interested to hear your future posts.  Congrats!

Blooby

SdC

Haha not yet i'm afraind; i'm compiling a shopping list for when (if?) I get myself a job again. I'm on short sabbatical right now.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Davo

To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

guitarron

i use duncan classic stacks in one of my strats-absolutelt sweet and quiet-been in use since about 93

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Sprocket

Im kind of a Strat purist, one humbuckers alright...but whats the matter with single coils?
Its a Strat, shouldnt it sound like one? Noise and all?

Dont get me wrong, Ive got a buddy whos got a Big Apple Strat with the Pearly Gates, and it sounds great...but a Strat isnt a Les Paul, and humbuckers arent very Straty.

No matter how I typed the above, it always came off wrong or snooty...so I apologize in advance, this wasnt my intention, just kinda overstating the obvious as the obvious usually escapes me as well.

SdC

If it was a real Strat, well ok, I get along with that somewhat.
This particular one, is my first electric. It will never be a vintage classic; wrong year and wrong factory (Korea). But it's been my mainstay for many years and it travelled the world with me. I recently gave it a good service, and all-in-all it has survived its first 20-odd years admirably well. I've cut up the body ssignificantly to accomodate the Roland synth pickup better, reducing its market value further but making it my custom all the more. When I'm working with the BR, I can lay down almost all tracks without having to change instrument, that's a huge plus for me. That's why I need an even more  versatile sound, deeper and jazzyer; hence a 'bucker. If I need it more "stratty", i can always switch it back to single.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Sprocket

Hey, there all "real" Strats if they are licensed by FMIC. Ive never owned a MIA or a MIK...so its not about maintaining value, more of a tonal thing, but I realize this is only my preference.
But yours is heavily moddified and that Roland unit does it all anyways(tonally) right?
Id probably want something that didnt hum too.