song too large to post...help??

Started by Hook, May 11, 2019, 08:03:46 AM

Hook

So I spent all week recording my most ambitious song to date. It clocks in around 10:30 and is a file size of 106MB in the 32 bit audacity default. I changed that to 16 bit and got it down to 9.67 MB without much quality issues (to my ears) but it's still too large to upload here. When I change the  sample rate it screws everything up. Is there any way for me to shrink this file down so I can upload it here?
Thanks in advance.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

Hook, is the file a 16 bit wav file? If so you should be able to convert it to an mp3 using Audacity without any problems. I do it all the time to get a song below the SC 7341 kb maximum upload requirement. Maybe I'm not understanding your issues completely. Hopefully you can get to uploaded because I'd like to hear it. Good luck with it.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Mike_S

Interested to here it too Hook. Sounds like a long song though - which is great - but it might be hard to get it to come in under 7.34mb as an MP3. Maybe you need to post it to a different site like SoundCloud or something and post the link here??
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

The length (10½ minutes!) is the problem. Data compression can only do so much. You probably won't be able to reduce a song of that length to a file size that's within our upload limit. You could try reducing the bit rate to 96 kbps (see this message) but it will probably still be too big and it will sound bad too, so I wouldn't recommend it.

What I would recommend instead is to upload it somewhere else that doesn't have an upload file size limit, like alonetone, for example. Then you can link to it with the [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags to insert the player into your post.

Or how about uploading it to hooksong.com then linking to it here? For example, the song "Fooled Me Twice" at hooksong.com has the following URL:

https://music.wixstatic.com/mp3/e04928_077b51e654f24a7a97c10a13a0cda435.mp3

If you insert that URL between a pair of [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags like this:

[singlemp3]https://music.wixstatic.com/mp3/e04928_077b51e654f24a7a97c10a13a0cda435.mp3[/singlemp3]

it results in the following player.

Time:
0:00
Volume:

So upload your new 10½-minute song to hooksong.com, find the URL of it, and insert it between a pair of [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags in your post for the new song.

Or, as I said, upload it to alonetone. They have no file size limits so you can upload it in its full sonic quality. I see that you already have an account at alonetone (https://alonetone.com/hook) so it should be easy.

After you've uploaded the song to alonetone, click on the song title so it opens up like this:

then click on "View more..." to open the song page. To get the URL of the MP3, right click on the download icon and select "Copy Link Location". This copies the URL to your operating system's clipboard. Then you can go to your Songcrafters message and paste the link from the clipboard between a pair of [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Thanks guys, I figured it was just too long. Its been such a long time since Ive used either my website or alonetone I'm not sure I'll be able to log in much less figure out how to upload the songs but I will give it a go.
I really prefer my songs to be here, mostly because I love the jukebox features. Having my songs easy to listen and download in the order Ive produced them has always been very valuable to me.
Hope to get this new tune up soon and maybe someone will invest the time to listen.
Rock on my friends and thanks again!! This place rocks!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on May 11, 2019, 05:01:37 PMI really prefer my songs to be here, mostly because I love the jukebox features. Having my songs easy to listen and download in the order Ive produced them has always been very valuable to me.

The jukeboxes should automatically include songs that are stored offsite and linked here with the [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags. That was something I fixed on the old site and, as far as I know, it should still work now.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Thats awesome 64, you are the Man!! And not the bad man that keeps us all down but the Man we all need. I say 64 for president!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: 64Guitars on May 11, 2019, 05:41:30 PMThe jukeboxes should automatically include songs that are stored offsite and linked here with the [singlemp3][/singlemp3] tags. That was something I fixed on the old site and, as far as I know, it should still work now.

Mine still works and everything (as far as I can remember) is stored off site.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

kenny mac

You could make a video,put the song on full quality and put it on youtube then post the link here😁.

Hook

Quote from: kenny mac on May 14, 2019, 12:13:48 AMYou could make a video,put the song on full quality and put it on youtube then post the link here😁.
Can you imagine a 10min video of my fat face in the car!!!

Thanks for all the help my friends, finally got it posted here
https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=28802.0
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely