Young Malagasy Street Singers — Remixed by Meddling Musicians

Started by Ted, March 09, 2019, 11:38:58 AM

Ted

Pimping my blog (again)...

This reminds me of something that people in the Songcrafters community would do: You see a video online — say some talented acapella street performers — that could use a little of your magic 

Well, what else is all your home recording gear for? Next thing you know it's a collaboration, with people adding more parts from their respective living rooms.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

alfstone

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Farrell Jackson

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

cuthbert

Those kids sound absolutely fantastic - I loved that. The drummer was in the pocket, and although the drums were mixed a little too high to my ear - I thought it was a worthy contribution.

But now I must become the contrarian. The guitar was far too noodly, plinky, and just plain distracting. The bass playing (while often very good) was over the top. All together, it's too much and detracts from the purity and joy of those kids singing.

I get it - it's fun to play along, but any additions really must serve the song. Guitar and bass with more restraint would have sounded much better, I think. Just my opinion of course.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ted

Quote from: cuthbert on March 11, 2019, 06:17:39 PMGuitar and bass with more restraint would have sounded much better, I think. Just my opinion of course.

I agree. This why bands (usually) need producers. Although the busyness of the guitar part is very much like what you hear in a lot of music in southern Africa.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac