Article 13 how is it going to affect the site?

Started by kenny mac, January 29, 2019, 12:26:45 PM

kenny mac

Hi there,
Been doing a lot of reading about this and it looks pretty bad if it gets rolled out.
On this site we do our covers on our festivals etcand although no money changes hands they are still available  as a download.
Maybe as a way around this the covers section could be different
With no download button  available.
Even with that in place we maybe Stuck with original material only.
Just a thought.
Here's an interesting link on it.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/what-is-article-13-article-11-european-directive-on-copyright-explained-meme-ban

Ferryman

Interesting. We are already infringing copyright by posting covers - anyone posting or performing covers should strictly speaking have either the copyright owner's permission or should be paying mechanical royalties. In reality most (all?) copyright owners wouldn't bother with a site like Songcrafters and what we do, because the commercial impact is zero.

This Article transfers the onus of not breaching copyright to the hosting site rather than the individual poster. It is clearly aimed at commercial hosting sites like YouTube where many artists are potentially losing money but there would be a knock on effect here.

I don't think the download button is the issue. The article states "online content sharing service providers and right holders shall cooperate in good faith in order to ensure that unauthorised protected works or other subject matter are not available on their services". Most covers are copyrighted and as soon a cover is posted here and publicly available, the copyright has potentially been infringed. AFAIK it's not the act of downloading it that breaches copyright.

Hopefully there would be some kind of exemption for "hobby" sites like this where there is no commercial gain involved. The big issue with things like YouTube is that the copyright owner should get a slice of the ad revenue. There's no revenue being lost here by the copyright owner.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

alfstone

I would say - for now - to keep going on as usual. If (and when) there will be news about this situation, we'll understand looking at bigger sites such as SoundCloud, I think...

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Jean Pierre

QuoteHopefully there would be some kind of exemption for "hobby" sites like this where there is no commercial gain involved

interesting ...and the future of SC concerne us

... there is a site in France that has just closed and which was called Mycovermusic.com
in fact, users deposited on this site covers or originals previously deposited on YT
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

ianjm

Pete C

I'd agree with Ferryman's comments - nobody is selling their downloads and there is no incentive from advertising revenue to attract listeners to the site. Perhaps though, we shouldn't be posting links to, or embedding, videos of original songs from YouTube ?
However, in a world of counterfeiting, illegal streaming and downloading of copies of original music I think there's "bigger fish to fry" than Songcrafters. I'm no expert on international law but if Article 13 is an EU law can it be applied to websites based outside the EU?
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Flash Harry

Our position has always been that if we are asked to remove copyrighted material, we would. I guess I'd carry the can, but I'd argue that you mad people made me do it.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.