A big idea

Started by bruno, December 02, 2018, 09:17:16 AM

bruno

There's been much discussions on this site on low activity, and ideas on how to raise interest in the site. Well, I'm been mulling this for a few days, and think that we need "the big idea". In the past we've done a rework of a classic album (Beatles album), where members have taken part of the overall task away, and contributed to something 'bigger'. I wonder if something like this would drive activity????

Following from this, have been listening to Audibles new version of War Of the Worlds, bring alive a classic novel being read with music. I did think "we could do that" as a 'big idea' project. That would take a significant amount of work and collaboration though, and would require some one to lead the process - so would be a big ask. Although I wonder if that would fire everyone up???
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

Crikey Bruno - it's doing nothing for me but I'm sure I'll be in the minority (again)!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

bruno

Quote from: Hilary on December 04, 2018, 11:29:14 AMCrikey Bruno - it's doing nothing for me but I'm sure I'll be in the minority (again)!
Fair enough - its worth putting ideas on the table, thinking outside the box and all that. Something may come from one of these ideas that everyone buys into and helps.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

I realise it's mostly instrumental but if you want me to sing anything for you, I'm happy to help (Forever Autumn springs to mind).
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

kenny mac

Sounds good Bruno but how would that go with copyright  but?
To take it even further what about an originl story?
A couple of writers write the script and then open it up for the music side.
I'll put myself up and write a couple of chapters, any offers?

Flash Harry

What a fantastic idea.

I don't think that we'd have trouble with copyright, there are plenty of covers on here already, we are not looking for commercial gain (yet)

Either a cover of an existing work or a new work based upon an existing book would be fine. The idea of re-doing the War of the Worlds is good in that we have to reproduce the music that already exists, so we have a guide and a the musical direction is already done.

Otherwise, a book - I have a number of suggestions already - would be a great start. And, for me at least, it may prompt a return of the missing mojo.

Nice one Bruno. It would be great to get a bit of traction.

Get those ideas rolling in...
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mike_S

I like all of these ideas I have to say.

I am finding the idea of basing something on a book really cool, either an original story or an existing classic that hasn't had music put to it before. I'd say it's a big enough undertaking but i guess with a sufficient number of song crafters it could end up being really good... like a sort of concept album?

I would be up for chipping in if I can

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

How about a concept album based on a 19th century gothic horror novel......?

Oh no, wait a minute. I started that back in 2009 and so far have only done two tracks...... :-\

But seriously, we did do something similar back in 2010, see https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=8458.0. This was based on paintings by Picasso. So the idea of using a book is a good one. But it's a lot of work.........

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hilary

Quote from: Ferryman on December 07, 2018, 04:13:37 AMHow about a concept album based on a 19th century gothic horror novel......?

Oh no, wait a minute. I started that back in 2009 and so far have only done two tracks...... :-\

Now that's funny!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

bruno

So - this is how I would think this would work - but open to suggestions.
We'd need to choose a story to do. Mrs B (as a Librarian) has suggested a number of novels on Project Gothenburg, which are royalty free - and include many classic novels. One suggestion was Journey to the Centre of the Earth - but open to suggestions.

Ferryman - would you wish to re-engergise your project?

Then, we would need a storyboard - or a Framework. This was define the work from start to end, and identify a number of songs and melodies (moods) required - and also the dialog. We'd need to work out who does the spoken parts! Anyway, once the music (in very broad terms) has been identified (i.e. a sad bit, a war bit, a song about a specific character etc), we'd list those out, and everyone can claim a tune or piece of music to write/produce/collaborate on - and then someone would have to bring the whole album together.

Now this could be a mammoth amount of work, but maybe not ....

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600