Morphing Song

Started by T.C. Elliott, October 26, 2018, 11:28:16 AM

T.C. Elliott

How about a musical game involving songwriting? A morph is a chain of songs where each song morphs into another song.

How does it work?
A single song is written/chosen. Then the next person in the chain changes 50% of the song and posts it. Then the next person changes 50% of that song etc., to the end.

What constitutes 50%.
You decide. It could be the same music (roughly) and a whole new lyric (or vice versa.) It could be changing roughly half the lyric and half the music. It could be a little of either the music or the lyric (or both) and changing the arrangement and genre. Only the person morphing can decide.

How many songwriters can participate?
Typically it's between 5-10. But it could be unlimited. I see a song (or a link to the song) being posted in the thread. The next person can then do their morph and post it (and/or link it.)  Eventually it'll sit here until someone else comes by and claims it (publicly posts that they are doing it so no-one else will start on it.) And months after the original chain is done someone else could come by and do a morph. Or, we could have a few of us that decide to participate and end the chain when we're done as to have a completed set.

How will it start?
If at least a few people sign up (post in this thread that they are willing to give it a go) then (unless someone else offers to write a starter song) I'll write and post a song (probably in a new thread) and then we can add songs there. It might be cool to have all of the songs in the original post, so if this gets off the ground I'll edit the original post with additions to the morphing chain with song links or a player or whatever works best.

Suggestions?
Yeah, I'm open to suggestions on how this might work better. But it could be fun.

What happens if no-one signs up or wants to do it?
No worries. It's just an idea.

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Mike_S

Liking the idea...

The only thing that is not clear in my head is that when someone takes a song and then wants to change it 50% will they have to totally re-record the song and do it in their own style. Sounds like this would be the easiest way. Otherwise you are down to asking for .wav files of the bits you are not going to change and then recording your new bits on top.

Simplest way i think is each new song is just done from scratch by the next person... keeping the spirit of the bits they want to keep from the old song.

Am i making sense... or am i talking rubbish !! ?

recorder
iPad GarageBand

T.C. Elliott

No, that's exactly right. You start your recording from scratch. It's kind of a cover and change 50% of it (whatever that means) in the process type of challenge.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Mike_S

Yeah that's cool. Let's see if anyone else fancies taking part...
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hilary

I'd give it a go, bearing in mind I can't play any instruments . . .
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

T.C. Elliott

Not enough participants to get a good journey, I think. I might revisit the idea at a later date. Thanks for the interest, you two.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper