On clicks and off clicks

Started by Facemask93, May 16, 2009, 11:49:44 AM

Facemask93

Can somebody tell me the best way to avoid the noise that you get when you switch on and off whilst recording with the onboard mike , is there a way to fade in and outFacemask93

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Oldrottenhead

what i tend to do, is after recording my vocals with onboard mic, i keep a note of where i start singing and end, rewind to beginning turn input to guitar and record silence up to i start singing, occassionally you might get clicks during a prformance especially if you are holding mbr in your hand, and especially if its a loud or emotional part, i tend to tighten my grip and its oops bugger click, lets redo that. if click happens with enough space between to parts record over it. or import track into a daw, and edit it there.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

launched

Hmm... ORH, I got some education here. To erase I used to do Utility|Trk|ERS and then delete the crust by measure or by time. Recording over with the mic off would be much faster and really appeal to efficient (Ur..Lazy!) people like me.

I agree that to get any more precise would require some DAW processing, but that would play against my Magical Silver Brick Only (M.S.B.O.) policy!  ;D

Later,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Kody

Audacity is a free audio software....It only takes a second to edit stuff like that w/ it...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ted

Quote from: launched on May 16, 2009, 01:05:37 PMHmm... ORH, I got some education here. To erase I used to do Utility|Trk|ERS and then delete the crust by measure or by time. Recording over with the mic off would be much faster and really appeal to efficient (Ur..Lazy!) people like me.

Interesting that you would find that easier than erasing.  I always erase the measures where there is unwanted noise.  I find I can be very precise--up to a fraction of a beat.  I almost always use my Drum Arrangement Worksheet.  I could see the appeal of just recording over the noise, because you'd have to stop and figure out which measures.  But with the worksheet, I know in advance which measures of a noisy track can be erased.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

launched

I actually do use your worksheet, Ted - Also, in the white spaces between the pattern description I write V1, V2, Chorus, Bridge broken up by "//" marks so I know where I am headed next. I appreciate this contribution - works great for me.

Haven't actually tried mute record-over yet (Have always used erase and the other track tools), just thought it might save time with vocals. I've made a point not to get into DAW with this thing - It makes my recordings suffer because it's hard to "See into".

Later,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Facemask93

Well thanks ted for the advice , but never having added a drum track ever your sheet was like trying to read latin , and what is a daw !

Facemask93

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Tony

I've seen the latin version of Ted's drumsheet and it's just the same really, but in, er..., latin. There greek version, however, is a nightmare.  Sorry, Ted, but you have to work on your greek.  A DAW is a digital audio workstation, something you might have on your computer for audio editing (Audacity is a favourite because it's free and fairly straightforward but there are many).  There are tutorials for adding drum tracks in the archives here and pp.82-90 of the manual give you the lowdown on how to do it as well.

Greeny

I just switch back to 'GTR' on the input and record over the clicks. I also use this to get rid of unwanted mic noise at the beginning of the track. It's a bit fiddly sometimes, but it works!

Ted

Quote from: Tony on May 16, 2009, 06:24:17 PMSorry, Ted, but you have to work on your greek.

Better?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac