If We Should Sing Together - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, May 16, 2009, 11:34:48 AM

Ted

Quote from: AndyR on May 17, 2009, 04:54:37 AM
Quote from: Ted on May 17, 2009, 12:20:04 AMIt took me awhile to put my finger on it: This reminds me of Spacehog--in a very good way!
Interesting - not heard of them personally, but "heavily influenced by David Bowie, Queen and T Rex"... yep, that's me!  ;D

BTW: This song didn't remind me of any specific Spacehog song, just the feel and vocal delivery.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Greeny

There's two ways we can react to this... pack up and go home in shame, or listen very carefully to how you produce something of this magnitude and see if we can learn something  :D :D :D

This is outstanding. On every single level.

Wow.

Double wow.

I'm lost for words  :D

Bluesberry

Had another listen.  Unbelievible. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ted

My tendency is to be anal-retentive and over-plan my recordings.  I've been working on trying to be more spontaneous and just get the basics down.

My mantra:

It's just a demo.  Capture essence and move on...

Thanks a lot for the relapse, AndyR.

;)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Satchwood

Wow - great song!  It all sounds just perfect to me!

Thanks for sharing the process you went thru to record as well.
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

AndyR

Quote from: Ted on May 19, 2009, 10:21:27 AMMy tendency is to be anal-retentive and over-plan my recordings.  I've been working on trying to be more spontaneous and just get the basics down.

My mantra:

Thanks a lot for the relapse, AndyR.

;)

That's really interesting you saying that Ted. I'm just back from the short holiday now, and while I was away I was thinking almost the same...

I guess we're similar on the anal-retentive front ;D. I was thinking about it, all the performances usually are "It's just a demo. Capture the essence and move on..." - the "production", the thinking between takes and bounces is what slows it down for me.

Anyway, while sitting on a rock and gazing out to sea over the last week, I decided there's room in my life for several approaches to recording - I'm gonna see what I can do with a slightly more rough and ready approach.

I'd definitely recommend anyone to explore how far they can push, in terms of complexity, the MBR every now and then though. (And then figure out what shortcuts you can take instead?). Even if I go for "rough and ready", I will be using some of the stuff I've learnt doing this one - and it should make the process easier/faster? ??? Hope so, anyway  :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

You really outdid yourself on this song, it is so damn good it is unbelievable, I think anyway.  I am curious, how do you feel about this song Andy.  I mean I can't get over how good it is, is it your best song, one of many great songs, just average for you... did you work extra hard on this song or the same as any other.  I hope you don't mind me asking, I am curious where you put this one in your recorded output.  If there are more like this one, get them posted here please, I need to hear them.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Glenn Mitchell

Well this is a pleasant surprise!!.
The home recording bar has just been raised.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

AndyR

Quote from: Bluesberry on May 23, 2009, 07:50:04 PMI am curious, how do you feel about this song Andy.  I mean I can't get over how good it is, is it your best song, one of many great songs, just average for you... did you work extra hard on this song or the same as any other.  I hope you don't mind me asking, I am curious where you put this one in your recorded output.  If there are more like this one, get them posted here please, I need to hear them.

Ummm... that'll take some answering, and my missus wants me to go and get the takeaway  :D

It's one of many songs, not sure about the "great", but there are quite a few that I'm rather fond/proud of.

I wouldn't class it is my "best" but it's up there in the "well there's this one..." category if someone started enquiring. Some of my favourites I'm quite scared of trying to attempt because songs are always difficult to do justice to on a recording.

On the "recorded output" front, this is probably the best all round package I've managed so far - it comes closest to how I originally imagined it before I switched the machine on.

By the way, this particular one was actually written nearly 10 years ago, but I only "finished" it a few weeks back just before recording it. I think that as I've got older I've got less "precious" about the stuff I create and so I can ruthlessly edit and hack things about to finish them.

Off to the takeaway now  :P :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bus Stetson

joe cocker would be burning to record this one;) the more you listen the more you hear! maaan that's a catchy vocal hook!! this is the kind of music i want in my cd collection and blasting out on the box! i love your whole approach, expertise, arrangement, style, the whole deal. i can hear rory's fighting spirit in your guitar playing. i have never recorded a song remotely close to this;) your knowledge & whole approach is inspiring *thank you* for sharing:)
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams. 'William Edgar O'Shaughnessy'.