If We Should Sing Together - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, May 16, 2009, 11:34:48 AM

AndyR

This is my third and final offering today - I finished it last weekend. I might remix it all again at some point, as it hasn't quite got the clarity of the previous effort, but I'm pleased with it as it is.

The song was written over ten years ago for my last band. We did rehearse it, not quite like this, but we never got as far as doing it live. I found it in the "box of scribbles" a few weeks ago, relearnt it and swapped a few things around so that it ended up with title.

I'm especially pleased by (and proud of) two things on this recording - I have finally found a process whereby I can record vocals in the flat we live in. I have always had enormous problems recording my own voice without an engineer, and I think I've finally cracked it.

That's the bit that pleased me, here's the bit I'm most proud of: I bought an electric piano a few years ago and taught myself to play it for songwriting purposes. And I've got a very nice Roland VK-8M organ module you can hear on here. Now, because there's no midi interface to the BR, the organ parts on here are all me "live" without subsequent editing - first time I've ever managed that. (I'm still overdubbing a left or right hand if the part gets too hairy - let's not walk before we can run!)

Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bro

Nice, welcome aboard btw.

Great job, killer vocals if you ask me, and i love the keys!

Great job! I wish i could sing like that!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Oldrottenhead

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this song is so good it's got everything , am lost for words,
QuoteI have finally found a process whereby I can record vocals in the flat we live in. I have always had enormous problems recording my own voice without an engineer, and I think I've finally cracked it.
did you use the onboard mic, mbr in hand headphones on?
QuoteThis is my third and final offering today
WE WANT MORE! WE WANT MORE! WE WANT MORE!
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

AndyR

I'm afraid you're going to have to wait a bit guys - those three were my output since Christmas...

I have started the next one - written a few days ago, still arranging, not committed to any parts yet. I have to say, the BR was a HUGE help as a song-writing tool for this. Tape a bit, put it down, pick it up next day...

But we're off on holiday for a week, so I decided not to get too involved before then, otherwise the missus would be going "wot a lovely view" and I'd be thinking about my recording back home instead  ;D

No, not the on-board mic ORH  ;D - I've got to put the dinner on, and then we're watching a film, I'll come back on tomorrow and explain the AndyR "engineer-and-vocalist-are-the-same-person" solution.

Anyway, everyone's made me feel like a million dollars today - many thanks for the welcome  :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

QuoteBut we're off on holiday for a week,
my mbr had two weeks in elounda crete the vocals for this song where recorded there here's the outcome http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6745311
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Quote from: AndyR on May 16, 2009, 11:59:57 AMI'll come back on tomorrow and explain the AndyR "engineer-and-vocalist-are-the-same-person" solution.
Your vocals are sublime (and very professional) on this song.  I am looking forward to hearing some of your technique for recording your vocals, As many of the juicy details as you care to share please (like for instance, what kind of mic, how many tracks did it take, what kind of effects used, what kind of panning). Great, really great song.  This may be the best song I have heard on here in a while.  Right now, at this point in time, this is my favorite song on this forum, I am glad you found your way to out little corner of the web Andy.  This song has showed me the possibilities of taking the time to "really get it right" (not that I could ever hope to sing as good as you), I am in awe of your talents, and I am a fan.  I am going to give this another listen, bye for now.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

This is a great arrangement with lots of power and soul behind it. The vox are super good!!

Quote from: AndyR on May 16, 2009, 11:34:48 AMI have always had enormous problems recording my own voice without an engineer, and I think I've finally cracked it.

Glad you got that under wraps!  :D  (You should be an engineer! The mix... great mix!)

And all with the MBR? Unbelievable!

Peace,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

SE

Best track of the night excelllent work.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Geir

Sure you haven't plugged the MBR to your stereo and recorded from some CD??

This is just brilliant!!! WHAT A VOICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the song .... !!!
Very pleased to wish you welcome Sir !!!!!

Geir
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

OsCKilO

Where did this "Player"/Hustler come from?!?!?

This must be a record company testing their stuff out on us!!!!!!

This is a beyond the MBR AndyR!!!!!

Is this MicroBR?

Must have been a whole ten years worth of practicing this every minute, of every day!

This sounds great!

Peace

T(Osckilo)

P.s

What was that tone at the end of the track?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy