Audacity updates and news

Started by 64Guitars, September 29, 2018, 01:15:11 PM

Ted

Those features really do look useful.

BTW: I use an optimization and maintenance tool on my Mac (developed by a Ukranian company), and it flagged Audacity as "Suspicious." That gave me pause. I vaguely remembered the concerns over Audacity from a couple of years ago. I have largely overcome any minor hesitation about using it.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 12.26.27 PM.png

Apparently some forks of Audacity sprang up in 2021 (Tenacity, Audacium) after the main app was accused of being "spyware," but none of these forks built up any momentum. But it seems that the forking was somewhat effective as a protest.

What are your thoughts, 64G? Is that a good interepretation?

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

I haven't trusted Audacity since The Muse Group acquired it. However, all of my concerns are based on its use of the internet. So I just turn off my modem before I open Audacity. Or I can also turn off my wired internet connection in Ubuntu's system menu:

Ubuntu System Menu - Turn Off Wired Connection.jpg

I did a quick search to see if the Mac has something similar and found this page:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1792330

I assume that there is also a control to switch off a wireless internet connection.

Audacity doesn't need internet access and it never had it before The Muse Group acquired it. So just don't let it access the internet by switching your connection off before opening Audacity and it should be perfectly safe to use.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website