Audacity updates and news

Started by 64Guitars, September 29, 2018, 01:15:11 PM

Greeny

What is this alchemy?!!!!

Thanks for the heads up - I had absolutely no idea this view existed!

WarpCanada

I wish the dark theme on Audacity looked as nice on Windows as it does on Linux, on Linux it themes the "non client" (title bar area).   It would be possible to add this to Audacity with a little C/C++ GDI-layer coding, I should look into doing that as a contribution to the project.

Anyone wanting a quick tour of viewing spectrograms check this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYw3qoTdU4
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

64Guitars

Quote from: WarpCanada on February 05, 2021, 10:51:17 AMI wish the dark theme on Audacity looked as nice on Windows as it does on Linux, on Linux it themes the "non client" (title bar area).
Actually, Audacity doesn't change the title bar. It's dark in my screenshots because I have my OS (Ubuntu) theme set to dark. If I set the Ubuntu theme back to its default, Audacity's mixer board looks like this:

So the solution is to change your Windows theme. There is a dark theme available in Windows 10 under Settings > Personalization > Colors. However, I don't think it includes a dark title bar. Fortunately, there are plenty of additional themes you can download:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop-themes-94880287-6046-1d35-6d2f-35dee759701e

You should be able to find one you like in there. Or maybe you can look into creating your own Windows theme.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

WarpCanada

True, however some apps on Windows do not use the system theme and have their own. For example, I'm using Google Chrome to view this website, and it's title bars are totally drawn by the app itself and not by windows.

I am gonna turn on the dark Windows theme though and see where I get.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

64Guitars

Audacity is currently running a short survey to help them decide which features to work on and improve. If you'd like to help shape the future of Audacity, why not complete the survey. It doesn't take long. There are just 13 simple questions which are mostly multiple choice. One of the questions is " How do you share the audio with others?" and it has options for Dropbox, OneDrive, Soundcloud, etc. I clicked "Other (please specify)" and typed in "songcrafters.org". Another question is "What kind of online collaboration features would be important for you?". I checked "Forums". I have no idea what kind of forum-based collaboration features they have in mind, but since Songcrafters is a forum, I'd be interested in anything they might come up with that could be useful to us in collaborating.

https://www.audacityteam.org/5-minute-survey-help-us-make-audacity-better/

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

WarpCanada

It's a completely amazing piece of software.   I am thinking I'll fire up Visual C++ and get the tools installed to build it from source as I have some ideas for what it needs.

Update:  I updated my Visual Studio 2019, and grabbed audacity and its dependencies and it was super easy to get it be buildable and debuggable on Windows, although the "CMake" tools are a bit weird and take a bit of getting used to.   The instructions on the Audacity website make building this code super easy.  If you aren't familiar with the C++ programming language and the WX framework though, I think this code would be pretty dense and hard to understand.  If you do know C++ and wx (formerly wxWidgets), then this should be pretty easy to wade into.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Don't know musescore but I use Ultimate Guitar app all the time and love it.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely