1971 Yamaha FG180 TLC

Started by DuFf, September 20, 2018, 09:46:00 AM

DuFf

Guitar TLC reminded me.

I have a 1971 Yamaha FG 180 Red Label (Nippon Gakki) I bought new in '71
Sat in an unheated attic for over 20yrs and barely touched for 10 years before that.
Took it in to Ken at Cosmo local Shop for a little tune up because the action was a little nasty.
(the new Taylor has spoiled me)
Didn't need a reset (wouldn't have been worth the $$) but Ken the guitar technician  did a great job dressing the frets, shimming the nut and shaving the saddle and bridge, truss adjustment and new strings for under $115.00 Cdn
Plays like a new guitar and sounds great......I understand these guitars are collectable these days although many require a neck re$et.
I Thought I might have a wall hanger there but Ken gave it new life.
DuFf

Life is hard....it is harder if you are stupid.

Mike_S

I reckon you have a good guitar there. I have a yamaha fg720sl. It looks similar to yours and it has a lovely warm sound. Like yours it was a bit unloved for quite a long time, I barely played it. It was like an unwanted child in a way. I think i thought my Mexican Strat was way "cooler". But I started picking it up more regularly about 2 years ago and now its normally the first one i go for, not sure why but it must be just down to the great sound coming from it.
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

In the attic? Ouch.

My first good acoustic was a Yamaha LA-18 (I think), which has been languishing in a case for years. I need to quit neglecting it, but I have been loving the Bedell and Blueridge guitars I picked up.

Congrats on the new old instrument.

Blooby

dobrodaddy

The early 70s Red Labels are indeed worth some coin. But after all that dry storage it should have tone to burn. A good luthier is an ace in the hole for resurrecting instruments. Too bad the neck reset is too pricey for you. That can make a big difference for tone and playability, not just sale value. Sweet that you have it. And you've found one of the downsides to Taylors -  usually set up WAY too light. IMHO

Thanks for listening!

recorder
Zoom H2

hooper

Those FG-180's were/are great workhorses and I also got mine in '71 and played it for thousands of hours.  Only recently learned that one in good condition can fetch in the $800's.  Mine is in rough condition, was actually once found floating on water  :-[   Has marks on the headstock where a puppy chewed on it. (pic attached)  The tuners wore out and I replaced with Grovers. The bridge is cracked and the top is bellied-out a bit so I keep it strung now for Nashville high-strung and it works for that.  DuFf, have you got a picture of yours?

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Boognish

I recently got a '72 Gakki fg-75
It does need a neck reset. I'm kinda stuck, I'd like to do it but I don't really have time to mess with it.
Sounds beautiful, though. For now it's a parlor slide haha

Okay to cover.

DuFf

Quote from: hooper on January 11, 2020, 09:03:27 AMThose FG-180's were/are great workhorses and I also got mine in '71 and played it for thousands of hours.
  DuFf, have you got a picture of yours?

Sorry....I just saw this...ha ha

FG 180.jpg
Life is hard....it is harder if you are stupid.

hooper

Wow, that's a great-looking FG180!

A couple of years ago I was looking for a playable but inexpensive guitar to take on a road trip. Was needing something that I wouldn't have to sweat about sometimes leaving in  the trunk of the car when necessary.  That search led to a new but direct descendant of the old Yamaha FG's.... a Yamaha FG800. (Mine is Tobacco Sunburst). The normal price for new was $200. This one was new but sold as a 'scratch and dent' for $160, for whatever reason I never figured out.

I was expecting to have to do some set up work on it but it played so good right out of the box I said I'm not changing a thing. Does not sound like a $800 guitar but it's really, really not bad. Intonation is spot on, all the way up. And it's built like a tank. Laminated front, back and sides but all you see on the outside is nice looking spruce and faux mahogany.  So, maybe the Yamaha FG tradition is still doing okay...
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE