I'm seemed to inherited one of these

Started by bruno, September 17, 2018, 02:35:22 AM

bruno

I have no idea what to do with it tho.

Clearing out mum's house for sale, my brother says there is a mixing desk under mum's bed, I've not got the room so its going to get bin'd - do you want it? I say, yeah okay - and then I find out that it is this beast!

Bob got it from the producer of the Massive Attack records before he moved to the States. This guy used it for his home studio, to do the premixes on, before going onto the big studio's, onto the Neve desks for final mixes. There is a certain romanticism that this desk was part of the process in producing some very big records, which I think is very cool! Bob recons that despite being Beranger, this is a very good analog desk, which 'sounds great' - and that's from someone who has recorded in all of the big studios, so it must be okay.

NB the power supply is almost as big as the Kemper! Oh my word, I was not expecting this!

I'm still dumbfounded and confused how to integrate this into my home studio though!
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

alfstone

...a second home studio, with different amps, effects etc...?

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

bruno

If anyone has any suggestions on how I could possible incorporate this - I'm all ears. I don't think I can use this as an entry to the BR1600, its to closed a unit. I was thinking of recording to a multi track recorder (old school) - although I'm not sure how you integrate with one of those? Any ideas on get x, y, z and you can do this.... would be interesting. I've only ever used the 1600. I would like to be able to eq and mix 32 tracks on this, that would be very cool....

recorder
Boss BR-1600

64Guitars

You could connect the 8 "SUBGROUP OUTPUTS" to the BR-1600's 8 Inputs and record each subgroup to a separate track. Set the BR-1600's Input Select to MULTI-TRACK. There doesn't seem to be any way to record all 32 channels individually, just the 8 subgroups. But since the BR-1600 can only record 8 tracks simultaneously, that seems a perfect match.

If you need it, the manual can be downloaded here:

http://manualmachine.com/behringer/mx3282a/980772-user-manual/

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

That's very cool Bruno, but what do you with it??  I wonder if there is a way or a device that can connect an analogue board like that to a DAw as a controller?
 Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

bruno

Quote from: 64Guitars on September 17, 2018, 10:05:57 AMYou could connect the 8 "SUBGROUP OUTPUTS" to the BR-1600's 8 Inputs and record each subgroup to a separate track. Set the BR-1600's Input Select to MULTI-TRACK. There doesn't seem to be any way to record all 32 channels individually, just the 8 subgroups. But since the BR-1600 can only record 8 tracks simultaneously, that seems a perfect match.

If you need it, the manual can be downloaded here:

http://manualmachine.com/behringer/mx3282a/980772-user-manual/
Fortunately Bob had the manual - but its always useful to have the digital version, so will download. Thanks 64G. Re recording each sub group - I will try that :-)

recorder
Boss BR-1600

bruno

Quote from: Hook on September 17, 2018, 10:09:11 AMThat's very cool Bruno, but what do you with it??  I wonder if there is a way or a device that can connect an analogue board like that to a DAw as a controller?
 Rock on!
That I don't know - I've never played around with a 'proper' mixing desk before, so don't really know how they are supposed to be hooked up. Will have to do some reading brother. It looks really cool - but is proper big!

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Farrell Jackson

Cool Bruno! It sure looks good. It probably has some good pre-amps in it. I'm not sure how to use it but I'm sure you will find a place for it. If it has an optic out and the BR1600 has an optic in you might hook it up that way? I use a Behringer ADA 8000 on the front end of my Fostex V160 (connected with an optic cable) and it allows me to record 16 tracks at once instead of just 8. Maybe the manual will give you some ideas. Nice gift!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Boognish

That thing is sweet!

Drummer in my band had a big dinosaur like that.
One or two of the tracks didn't work (probably just needed a good cleaning).
I don't really remember using it, though, or how we had it set up.
Okay to cover.

TPB

I loved the preamps on this mixer we have a little concert every year and used this board for a long time and never had a problem with it.  Lots of cable runs, we now hire a guy and he has state of are digital Wireless and the mix can be controlled from a Ipad or laptop. Let me know if it needs a new home LOL
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away