The Following Information WILL be Covered in the Exam! Another Newbie Says HI!

Started by Sphagnum Core, September 07, 2018, 09:08:01 AM

HiYa,

My name is Hamish. I'm from NZ (latterly Australia) , and 'Sphagnum Core' has been the main musical outlet for myself and a bunch of my friends since 1979. We were actually called 'John Peter's Sings' way back then (important facts these... :-X) but it was still the same old rubbish we've always done. The point is we've been around and recording for donkeys years so there are bits and pieces of our musical flotsam floating around on the internet and even (occasionally) in the real world.

We started off at school recording on one of our parents old mono cassette recorders and then we multi tracked by acoustically bouncing tracks between that old piece of garbage and an old 1950's Grundig reel-to-reel tape deck (with a top speed.of a WHOPPING 3.75 ips) that someone had cluttering up their garage. The results sounded awful, but cassalbums were duly released.

As we moved into the 90's we used various peoples 4 track cassette portastudios and a Teac 3340A open reel 4 track I actually bought (a beautiful machine that I still own). More latterly we've been using a digital Boss BR-8 and other various PC multitrack programs. In total we've recorded something like 20 albums (initially on cassette, then CD-R, and latterly web based sites like myspace, then lastfm and bandcamp. All this is since our debut LP ('Assorted Chocolates') was released and bombed wayyyyy back in 1981.

Our music is what most sane people, and even serious music lovers, musicians, and sound engineering site/forum persons would call 'crap', and even 'talentless crap'. If you were feeling generous you could label it as 'indie experimental' I guess but we don't appear to have many generous critics. We actually mean it to sound like that and wouldn't change it even if we were good enough musicians - mainly because it cracks us up!

AS IT SHOULD! :)

I recorded our most recent album on my phone while going to work on the train. I used an android app called 'Recording Studio Pro'. It has some sort of emulation software in it that imitates bunch of instruments. It's a ton of fun to play with - especially on 50 minute train trips. I decided to put an albums worth of the results up on bandcamp.

As far as I know it's the first album to EVER be 'Written Recorded and Mixed on a Train' (that's the title btw).

Anyway I look forward to meeting y'all and maybe I can tap some of the vast amount of home recording knowledge you good people have and maybe I can even add a couple of useful things myself.

So sorry about the length of this obnoxious note! Please Rock On to compensate!!! 😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

You pal
Hamish / Sphagnum Core

cuthbert

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Farrell Jackson

Welcome to soundcrafters! I look forward to hearing some of your songs recorded on your phone, on a train.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

alfstone

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Oldrottenhead

hi from Scotland, my wife lived in NZ for a bit, in a wee place called lower hut, we hope to visit in a year or two. get some music up.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Jean Pierre

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600